Selling Your Home During the Holiday Season
Selling your home over the holidays can be a bit of a challenge. There are fewer buyers out there and it can take longer. On the upside, there is also less competition on the market and the buyers that are out there, for the most part, are the serious ones who ready to buy.
Preparing for sale at this time of year should be done with a critical eye. Here are some things that can help set your property apart and place it out in front of the competition.
1) Pay attention to curb appeal: Lists can be narrowed down simply on the drive-by. A clean and well manicured yard and exterior says a lot about your home.
2) De-clutter and de-personalize. Only essential furniture, the best pieces, should be out to create a greater sense of space. Use paintings and other well chosen home decor to highlight but don't overdo it...less can be more by far.
3) Handyman day: Fix everything from burned out light-bulbs, wall dings and holes, squeaky doors, broken taps on up. This will show a well maintained home where pride in ownership is evident.
4) Paint where needed or everywhere if necessary. This is an excellent investment to bring great return on your dollar. Neutral designer colours should be used.
5) When it is being shown: It should always be clean and presentable. Cozy it up with careful Christmas decorating to welcome your prospective buyers...'tis the season! There is nothing like coming home to Christmas, soft lighting and music and perhaps the scent of fresh baking. Set the mood and paint the picture for them.
6) Choose an excellent agent; one who is knowledgeable, personable and motivated.
7) Make sure that the price is right. Too low and you risk not maximizing your potential profit. Too high and it could sit on the market indefinitely. You should only price it according to what the market will bear.
8) Your home should always be available for appointments.
9) Be flexible in negotiations. You needn't give away the farm by any means; just be willing to give and take. Your REALTOR® will guide you through this with your best interests at heart.
While selling over the holidays can be a challenge, if approached properly one can be successful. Common sense and patience always pay off in the end.
Most of all, through it all, enjoy being with your family and enjoy the spirit of the holiday season.