Go to Google Places and Click “Create an Account Now”.
Complete the form with your email address, a password, your location, and your birthday.
It will ask you to verify your email address and synch it. Once you agree you will be brought to a screen (snapshot below) that asks you to “Claim your Business listing on Google. It’s Free! Click “List Your Business”.
Enter your phone number.
If Google doesn’t find your address, you will need to input the data fields manually. Type in your country, company, street address, city/town, state, zip, main phone number, email address and website.
On the same form, complete the following fields:
Your Website Address (http://www._________). If you don’t have one, check the box “I don’t have a website”.
- A Description of your Business. You get 40 characters so choose your words wisely and use keywords related to your business. Keywords are the words consumers type in a search box on Google, Bing or Yahoo to find businesses online. Ex: Restaurants in Rockford IL. If you want to know more about keywords ask your account representative who can give you information on choosing keywords for your business.
- Category. You can choose five. Again you will want to make it keywords that people would search for online. Don’t get too creative with this field.
- Choose your Service Areas and Location Settings. First you will choose if customers come to your business location or if you will travel to their location.
Take time to complete this section. The locations you choose are important.
On the same form list,
- Hours of Operation. If you are a business with a physical storefront be specific in this section. You can also enter split hours per day if your location is open during different shifts.
- Payment Options: Check all that apply.
- Photos: You will want to upload appealing photos of your location and appealing details of your storefront/business as possible. Make sure the photos are of good quality as they will most likely be a deciding factor in whether a consumer chooses your business. You have the opportunity to choose up to 10 photos so make sure you take advantage of it.
- Videos: If you have videos you can upload 5. They must be hosted on YouTube in order to do this. Take the URL (http://www._______) of the video on YouTube and add it to the Video field on the form on Google places. Videos play an important role in people searching online and choosing businesses. Ask your account executive about the role videos play in getting your business found online.
- Additional Details: You can add details about your business like parking options, reservations required, etc. Take advantage of this data field option.
After you are done entering these data fields click the “submit” button.
You will be brought to a screen to choose your verification method to verify our business listing. You have the option of receiving a phone call or receiving a postcard. The postcard can take up to two weeks. The fastes option is phone verification. Then click “finish”.
You will be brought to a screen to verify your business listing. Enter the PIN you received by phone or by postcard. Hit “submit”.
Your business listing is complete. If you want to go back and edit your listing, click the “Go to Google Places” link.