Thanksgiving is next week and many of us may take to the roads to join family and friends in celebration of the day. If you headed over the river and through the woods you would be wise to glance over this 10-minute pre-trip car checkup...because the only thing worse than entertaining three children under the age of 10 on a lengthy journey is doing it on the side of the road.
- Check all fluids. This means the power steering, brake and transmission fluids, oil, antifreeze and coolant and windshield washer solvent.
- Check all hoses and belts for signs of wear. These are crucial for the electrical system, cooling system and power steering.
- Check the tire pressure and tread. Include a check for bulges and bald spots too.
- Check all lights and wipers. Replace any that are older than six months.
- Restock your emergency kit. Don't forget to add lots of Advil!
- Have your brakes checked.
Don't want to check these items yourself? Then make a quick visit to a reputable service center. It is a small sacrifice in time compared to the inconvenience and safety hazards of breaking down away from home. And then, enjoy your trip...friends, family and food, food, food!