Lying, Stretching the Truth, Fibbing ~ It's just a little white lie...
photo courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nirak/2113101947/sizes/z/in/photostream/
IMHO stretching the truth in any way, shape or form is shady and just plain wrong. If an agent calls me to ask if I have any offers or anything working on one of my listings I am going to be honest and truthful. If an agent calls to inquire about the condition of my listing, again, I will be completely and totally upfront. That's just how I think things of this nature should be handled.
Don't get me wrong, I am not going to divulge any confidential information (like the fact that they may be selling because they have been relocated to Tibet) that will harm my clients and that is quite frankly, none of anyones business!
So, back to my point...
A little over a week ago, I was in negotiations with a listing agent on a home my client wanted to purchase. These negotiations were taking FOREVER and the sellers were not budging from their first counter which was still quite a bit higher that my client was willing to pay. Once it was obvious that we were at a standstill, my client decided to go out and see some more properties.
The next day we visited several properties, including some new homes. She fell in love with one of the new homes and was leaning towards writing a contract on it but wanted to sleep on it and maybe go back a second time the next day. No problemo, I said!
Later that evening, I received a final counter from house #1, they were willing to go down an additional $950...yep you read that right, $950 (we were still several thousand dollars below that on our end). I replied and told here that we were going to be seeing a few houses the next day and I would discuss this counter with my client and let her know by end of business.
The next morning my client and I went to see the new home once again and she decided it was the one for her. We sat with the sales counselor and signed the contract, she submitted her earnest money and all was right with the world. In the meantime, I called the agent from house #1 to let her know that my client had decided to go with another home and thank her for everything. She said, not problem, we just accepted another offer on the home so everything worked out for the best!
Great! Sounds like everyone is happy and satisfied. We are moving along nicely with the purchase process on the new home BUT what about the other home? Well low and behold, it is STILL ON THE MARKET, was never taken off, listed as Active Option, or pending, nada.
This can only lead me to believe that the agent was trying to pressure me and my client by telling this little white lie about the alleged accepted offer...
Maybe she wasn't lying, maybe she really did have an accepted offer that was canceled before she had a chance to update the MLS, I'll never know and it really doesn't matter in the long run. The reason I chose to write about it is that it's not the first time I have come across a suspect statement made by a listing agent on alleged multiple showings and/or offers that were "coming in".
What do you think?