I just found that I had taken this post down before I had really let it run it's course! ..Probably because of the topic! So I am going to re-submit and hope that it goes through--I had many who responded before with many interesting comments. I would like to share it again with all of you:
Goofle and RedFaceBook....Here's why I think we need to think twice about these two!!! I wrote a Featured post in 2008 about the Pay Per Click problems with Google: http://activerain.com/blogsview/484697/the-google-click-scam-is-a-reality-
You have heard the stories, I am sure--you have heard about the legal problems as well, of that I am positive! Do you know anyone who has been "harmed" by them?...I mean really harmed? Well, there are degrees to being harmed but I think that if a company is in the business of "trust" of any kind, they need to be of the mind" "First Do no Harm" and therefore, there should be no room for ANYTHING that resembles taking advantage of, or just plain trying to cheat someone out of their money!
I am a very trusting individual and I gave both of them a real chance:
- I joined FaceBook and started using the site to re-connect with old freinds and classmates.
- I bought advertising on Google ADWORDS for my staging business in 2007 and in that, I was using PPC ads.
Both situations resulted in the following:
- My classmate from highschool in Birch Run Michigan, got in touch with me--re-connecting after many many years. I was so surprised and delighted that he contacted me on FaceBook and that he wrote on my wall how he thought I looked great "after all this time"--etc., ectc..
- After several emails back and forth, I was made out to be a "Husband Theif" by another person on FB, probably his wife....she made a very public issue on the site about how I was taking her "new" husband away from her--she went into a rant on FB of the likes I have never seen before; AND she got all her girlfriends to participate in a smear of me and my good name ALL on this public site! I had to drop off the pages of FB because of the embarrasment---it was just like highschool all over again!!!
- I always use Google to search for people and companies and their backgrounds. I have used it for years and felt very comfortable to do advertising on Google when I decided to open my new staging business in 2007. I selected an affordabe (to me) program in ADWORDS that included Pay Per Click offerings, where I could select the amount of money I wanted to spend per click---I chose the very affordable( I thought!) .50 cents per click....and waited to see my ad on the front page of Google, as they promised! I checked and checked again to see my ad and I never saw it! The next morning I checked my ad to see what was going on with it again and I saw there were 500 hits on my ad---$250.00 worth of clicks ---all on my ad which never came up once on Google when I searched for it! Now, I had used my debit card from my bank because I had made a determined decision to never use credit cards again in 2008. I tried to cancel my ad but every time I went to the website to cancel, it seems I ended up opening another PPC account. I had 3 accounts by the time I figured that out and then I was mad--I tried to get my money back but no such luck! I ended up with over $600 in PPC charges and I made a decision to cancel my bankcard.
- I was threatened by Google to pay up or I would lose my Google Gmail account...sure enough---they shut it down and to this day I have no use of it. Many more threats followed and I called the BBB to see what I could do about it...."NOTHING" they said! "Nothing can be done with Google because they are so big." So I dropped it and never heard from them again.
- Flash forward to Friday, November 26, 2010...I just got a legal notice from the US District Court of the Northern District of California with Google as the Defendant in a Class Action Lawsuit against them for their ADWORDS accounts and Google is denieing any wrong doing and without admitting any liability, they have entered into the agreement to "avoid any further expense, inconvenience and ..distraction of burdensome and protracted litagation...." You know the process.
So, you all know the story from this end--I get myself into the "thick of it" somehow and I don't like it one bit....I am even a little more than Paranoid now about the information they both have about me. :=(
ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY STORIES THWY WANT TO SHARE ABOUT THESE TWO VERY POWERFUL SITES???