By: 1SG (Ret) David and Tonya Kucic, HawaiiREALTORs
Have you ever played golf on Oahu? If you are an avid golfer, there are probably courses on your list that you would someday like to play. On my personal list are playing in England and Scotland along with a round at Augusta and Pebble Beach.
Closer to home, here is a quick review of some courses that you may or may not want to put on your calendar if you are coming to Hawaii to play golf. Understand that these views are from an 8.0 handicap golfer. There are probably a lot of scratch players that wouldn't agree with me but the majority of golfers aren't scratch players anyway. Since I am not getting paid to advertise for these courses, I am very impartial.
- Turtle Bay, The Palmer Course, Oahu: Awesome layout. Beautiful views. Always in immaculate condition. The fairways look like putting greens. Plan a lunch at Le'les Restaurant at the clubhouse. Put it on your list!
- Ko'Olina Golf Course, Kapolei, Oahu. Nice course. Very well manicured. Roy's Restaurant located at the clubhouse is a must for eating while you are there. Put this on your list too but not until after you play Turtle Bay.
- Coral Creek, Ewa Beach, Oahu. Nice course. Well manicured. The grass is seashore paspalum which is very hardy against the salt water but it is tough to hit out of when you don't hit the fairway!
- Makaha East and West Courses, Makaha, Oahu. Very inexpensive and really nice courses. The west course is a little bit more challenging. Beautiful ocean views from high up in the Makaha Valley.
- Pearl Country Club. Very challenging and demanding. Long par 3's and some tricky fairways. Very well maintained. Great rates! Put this on your list.
- Kapolei Golf Course, Kapolei, Oahu. Very well maintained. Decent layout but pretty short. Fun course that you can score well at if you can keep it out of the many water hazards.
- Royal Kunia Golf Course, Waipahu, Oahu. Just about the same class as Kapolei Golf Course. Another one that is not too long and is good for scoring.
- New Ewa Beach Golf Course, Ewa Beach, Oahu. This course has made a 180 degree turnaround in the past two years. You will find some pretty tight fairways, numerous trees and some undulating fairways and greens. Pretty challenging but like Coral Creek, they have the seashore paspalum grass.
- Turtle Bay, Fazio Course, Oahu. Pretty easy course. Nicely maintained. Not very long. Another good opportunity to score well.
- Hawaii Prince Golf Course, Ewa Beach, Oahu. Three 9 hole courses. Play the A and B if you can get the starter to let you. Although they are fairly short, they are well maintained and you can get into tree trouble and other vegetation along the fairways. Its pretty easy to score well here. The C course should be played only if you have extra time for another 9 holes.
There are numerous military courses( Leilehua, Barbers Point, Klipper at Kaneohe Bay, Navy-Marine Course) but most civilians can only get on as a guest of an ID card holder. To rank these from best to worst they would be Klipper, Leilehua, Navy Marine and Barbers Point.
As alwyas, I love meeting people and playing golf. If you are here on the island and dont want to go out alone, let me know and I will join you.
MILITARY BASES, POSTS AND FORTS ON OAHU, HAWAII AND POHAKALOA TRAINING AREA BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII
Schofield Barracks: Mililani, Wahiawa, Kapolei, Waipahu, Ewa Beach, Waipahu, Makakilo, Oahu, Hawaii Schofield Barracks and adjoining Wheeler Army Airfield are the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Brigade, Aviation Brigade, 45th Sustainment Brigade and the 8th Military Police Brigade. In addition, the 8th Theatre Sustainment Command, 65th Engineer Battalion, 25th Special Troops Battalion and the 556 Personell Service Battalion are also part of the Division team and play an integral role in the success of the Division.
The 25th Infantry Divison has proudly served in numerous wars and conflicts around the globe. The Soldiers that make up the division are currently deployed to several locations to include Iraq.
Pearl Harbor: Pearl City, Pearlridge, Aiea, Salt Lake, Honolulu, Waipahu, Oahu, Hawaii
Hickam Air Force Base: Pearl City, Pearlridge, Aiea, Salt Lake, Honolulu, Waipahu, Oahu, Hawaii
Marine Corps Base Kaneohe: Kaneohe, Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii
Camp H. M. Smith: Salt Lake, Moanalua, Honolulu, Aiea, Pearl City, Pearlridge, Oahu, Hawaii
Tripler Army Medical Center: Salt Lake, Moanalua, Honolulu, Aiea, Pearl City, Pearlridge, Oahu, Hawaii
Fort Shafter: Salt Lake, Moanalua, Honolulu, Aiea, Pearl City, Pearlridge, Oahu, Hawaii
Wheeler Army Airfield: Mililani, Wahiawa, Kapolei, Ewa Beach, Waipahu, Makakilo, Oahu, Hawaii
Helemano Military Reservation: Wailaua, Wahiawa, Mililani, Haleiwa, Oahu, Hawaii
Kahuku Training Area: Kahuku, Oahu, Hawaii
Kilauea Military Reservation: Hilo, Kona, Hawaii
Pohakuloa Training Area: Hilo, Kona, Hawaii
Makua Military Reservation: Waianae, Nanakuli, Makaha, Oahu, Hawaii
TEMPORARY LODGING FACILITIES FOR THE ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE, MARINE CORPS, COAST GUARD, RESERVISTS, NATIONAL GUARD, DOD CIVILIANS AND RETIREES ON OAHU, HAWAII
The Hale Koa Hotel on Waikiki Beach: Honolulu, H
The Inn at Schofield Barracks: Mililani, Wahiawa, Kapolei, Waipahu, Ewa Beach, Waipahu, Makakilo, Oahu, Hawaii
Navy Lodge Hawaii at Pearl HarborThe Beach Cottages at Kalaeloa (formerly Barbers Point NAS): Mililani, Wahiawa, Kapolei, Waipahu, Ewa Beach, Waipahu, Makakilo, Oahu, Hawaii
GOLF COURSES ON OAHU, HAWAII FOR ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE, MARINE CORPS, COAST GUARD, RESERVISTS, NATIONAL GUARD, DOD CIVILIANS AND RETIREES
Leilehua Golf Course (Army, Schofield Barracks) Mililani, Wahiawa, Kapolei, Waipahu, Ewa Beach, Waipahu, Makakilo, Oahu, Hawaii
Walter Nagorski Golf Course (Army, Ft. Shafter)
Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course (Marine Corps, Kaneohe Bay)
Barbers Point Golf Course (Navy, Barbers Point): Mililani, Wahiawa, Kapolei, Waipahu, Ewa Beach, Waipahu, Makakilo, Oahu, Hawaii
Navy Marine Golf Course (Obvious Right?)
COMMISSARIES ON OAHU, HAWAII FOR ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE, MARINE CORPS, COAST GUARD, RESERVISTS, NATIONAL GUARD, DOD CIVILIANS AND RETIREES
Schofield Barracks Commissary near Wahiawa, Waipahu and Mililani, Hawaii Kaneohe Marine Corps Base Commissary near Kaneohe and Kailua, Hawaii Barbers Point Commissary near Kapolei, Ewa Beach and Makakilo, Hawaii Pearl Harbor Commissary and Hickam Air Force Base Commissary which are both near the cities of Pearl City, Pearlridge, Aiea and Honolulu.