Here are some great tips from Amy Meyers out of Leechburg PA - thanks amy, these are simple effective ways to enhance a room by making it look larger.
Making a room look larger than it really is, is an art - an art that anyone can do. It is simpler and easier than you might think just to change some little things that can make a big difference.
1. Don't use bright or dark colors for the color scheme of a room, used white, pastels and neutrals for that larger feel.
2. Use s single color and select different shades and textures to fill the room.
3. Lighting is key in make a space open up. Try using spot lighting or even a torchiere lamp to bounce some light off the ceiling. Skylights and solar tubes can be excellent for adding natural light to a room.
4. Keep a limit on the accessories in the room. This will make the room feel less cluttered.
5. Make sure colors on the ceilings and floor are light. Use light colored wood and carpet for that open feel.
6. Add wall mirrors to increase the largeness of the room. This reflects images, light and color. Double the size of a room by adding mirror tiles on a full wall.
7. Consider using a love seat instead of a full size sofa in a smaller area. Place furniture closer to the wall when not in use.
8. A single painting works better than a group buy giving a bigger feeling.
9. Using glass in any kind of table will give the feeling of more openness.