Last week at the OMREB AGM the Realtors in attendance were treated to a lively and inspirational presentation by Robert Fine the Manager of Economic Development for the Central Okanagan. Some of the opportunities and successes shared with the audience were:
- In the Okanagan there are 10,000 more people employed than in the 2008 stats.
- Tourism is up 2.3% over 2009
- A new resort is planned for West Kelowna with an additional 1200 slips
- New development planned for Peachland $1Billion investment
- University of British Columbia Okanagan soon to have over 7,000 students
- The Medical School Hospital Expansion ongoing
- Airport numbers up - 2nd Direct route to US soon to be announced
- Business Licenses are up 2%
- Resident construction is returning to pre 2008 levels
- Lumber prices re-bounding
- By 2010 - $21 Billion projected expenditures for infrastructure improvements
- ORIC /OSTIC Incubator expanding
Lots of great news for the Okanagan!