Top 10 Tips for Hiring a Contractor
1. Get at least three written estimates.
2. Get references and call to check on the work.
3. Check with the local Chamber of Commerce or Better Business for complaints.
4. Be sure that the contract states exactly what is to be done and how change orders will be handled.
5. Make as small a downpayment as possible so you won't lose a lot if the contractor fails to complete the job.
6. Be sure that the contractor has the necessary permits, licenses, and insurance.
7. Be sure that the contract states when the work will be completed.
8. Ask if the contractor's workers will do the entire job or whether subcontractors will do parts.
9. Be sure that the contract specifies the contractor will clean up after the job and be responsible for any damage.
10. Don't make the final payment until you're satisfied with the work.