Many are complaining that property values are going down while property taxes are going up as governments are struggling to find ways to get money from the embattled housing market, which has caused many to loose revenue. For most local and state government the easy answer is to raise property taxes, especially now that the election is over...consumers tend to forget about the politicians they voted for, whom many times change their tune once realty sinks in and they take office.
Here are several ways to fight your local or state government and make a case for lowering your property taxes.
- Make sure you complain to the right place. Know your facts as each local government is different.
- Know how to read your tax bill, compare it to last year's bill so you see where the increases are.
- Make sure the specifications for your home are the ones that are on your bill, mistakes are often made as many governments only view homes from the outside.
- Is your house dysfunctional?Yes that's right...houses can be dysfunctional, which could translate into
. a lower tax bill.
- Check your local com-parables....yes you should know what homes are selling for in your area and what the tax bills are...you can get this information from a local Realtor or your assessor's office. It is public information and free.
- If you feel your taxes are way off, spend the money to hire a independent appraiser for usually around $300. This report will have all the information you will need to help strengthen your case.
- You can also hire Tax Appeal Attorneys, they seem to be popping up everywhere lately..most will not charge you until they get the reduction.