How are people finding your website? If you're not using the free Analytics tool from Google, you're missing out on one of the easiest, most powerful tools for your online business. Google Analytics is simple to install, simple to manage and ensures a better ROI on your online marketing dollars. Once you register your website(s) there will be a small snippet of code that needs to be installed on your site. Even if you're not an IT pro, the process is explained in plain English and you can probably use this tool even if you have a template-type site.
I've been using the Analytics tool for several years now and couldn't be happier with the service. And did I mention it's FREE?!?
Here's a brief overview of what kind of detailed reporting you can expect:
- MAIN DASHBOARD: Gives you a quick look at exactly how may visitors you have had to your site per day/week/month
- SITE USAGE: This section allows you to see how many visitors you had, your total pageviews, avg pages per visit, the bounce rate, average time spent on your site & the percentage of new visitors.
- MAP OVERLAY: You can discern exactly where your traffic is coming from based on the geography of your visitor. Any state (or country for that matter) that has had a visitor to your site is colored-in. You can click through the map for more detail.
- TRAFFIC SOURCES OVERVIEW: This is a simple pie chart showing you which visitors were from search engines, referring sites or direct traffic. Although this is a Google tool, it will provide data from other referring search engines like Yahoo! and Bing.
- CONTENT OVERVIEW: The most popular landing pages are listed in order of the traffic they receive. Furthermore, you can see how many pageviews each landing page received, and the percentage of total site-traffic that that page makes up.
And by the way, I'm not affiliated with Google in any way and will receive no compensation for additional usage of the site by anyone who reads this or clicks on the link above. I just really enjoy the program and think others will find it useful as well.