How Do I Homestead My Reno Home?

Real Estate Agent with Ferrari-Lund Real Estate 61129

One of my clients recently closed escrow on a Reno home and asked:

"How do I homestead my home and what protection will I have once completed?"

Clip Art Sign Papers

Homesteading your home is quite easy. All you need to do is complete a Declaration of Homestead form and record it with the county recorder in the county where your home is located. There is a small fee to process and notarize the declaration once you have completed it. If you live in Washoe County, the recorders office is located at 1001 E 9th Street, Building A, Suite 150, Reno NV 89520.

What is a homestead?

 A homestead declaration protects your home from being seized and sold in the event that a money judgment is entered against you in court. Nevada home owners who have filed a Declaration of Homestead are protected under the Homestead Act Of Nevada, NRS 115.

For most judgments against you, your home in Nevada is protected up to at least $550,000 of the equity you have in your home. You are protected against most judgments except if you have judgment against you  because:

  • You owe taxes on your home
  • You have a mortgage lien
  • You owe Child Support / Alimony
  • You have a mechanics lien

What kinds of properties are eligible?

  • Land, your house, things connected to the land (easements, gardens, fixtures)
  • Mobile Home (even if you don't own the land it sits on)
  • Condominium Unit

Who can declare a homestead?

You  must own your home to file a homestead declaration. It must be your primary residence, not a rental or investment property. It does not matter if you are married or single. Both or a single married person can file. In most cases, a trustee can file for a person living in the intended home.

 What happens if I sell my home once it has a homestead declaration filed?

Sparks Home

If after receiving a Declaration of Homestead for your home you must keep the information on the form current. If you move,  you must file for a new homestead. If you divorce, separate, become widowed or get a new loan, you will need to file a new declaration.  

If you own a home in Reno or Sparks, Nevada, you should consider filing a homestead declaration with the Washoe County Recorders Office

It is so easy to do and is such a valuable tool to help protect your home against creditors and could save you from having your home foreclosed on.


How Do I Homestead My Reno Home?


Posted by

Your Home. My Priority. Since 2003

Certified Distressed Property Expert (CDPE)
Certified Default Resolution Specialist (CDRS)
Short Sales & Foreclosure Resource ~ Certified (SFR)
NAR's Green Designation ~ Certified Green
Certifed Negotiation Expert (CNE)
Property Manager

Ferrari-Lund Real Estate

 Cell ~ 775.846.5424

Email ~


Facebook   LinkedInTwitter


This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Real Estate General Information
Nevada Washoe County Reno Damonte Ranch | Double Diamond
Almost Anything Goes
Posts to Localism
Local Expert
All Things Northern Nevada - Northern NV Real Estate
save money
reno homes
nrs 115

Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Evelyn Rice
RE/MAX Complete Realty - Sparks, NV
SFR - Northern Nevada

I agree, everybody should homestead here in Nevada. Great advice!

Jan 19, 2011 05:02 AM #1
April Diehl
Caliber Home Loans - Fernley, NV
Local Expertise National Strength

Title Service and Escrow in Fernley is offering this FREE to Lyon county residences for the month of January. 775-575-2286

Jan 19, 2011 09:31 AM #2
Terrie Leighton
Ferrari-Lund Real Estate - Reno, NV
Reno Real Estate Agent ~ Selling Homes in Reno

Thank you Evelyn!

April ~ Thank you so much! I have a client in Fernley who this information will help!!!

Jan 19, 2011 09:43 AM #3
Vincent Cascio
Black Hawk Virtual Media - Reno, NV


Great information.  Someone just asked me about this the other day and I had no idea what to tell him.  I'm still learning about the RE laws in Nevada.  I'll be sure to tell my neighbor exactly how - I'll print the information out and give it to him.

Thanks for the great post.

View of a dining room

Jan 20, 2011 03:19 AM #4
Sidney Kutchuk - Realty Works Temecula Kutchuk - Realty Works Temecula
Realty Works Temecula - Temecula, CA
Realty Works Temecula

Terrie:  Tag you're it:  Go to my profile to read my post for an example but here's the rules: 

What is YOUR Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG) for 2011. We'd also like to know more about you, and your background, what is it about you that makes this BHAG so important? What experiences are you bringing with you into 2011 that will make this BHAG work? So I'm asking you to please share 5 or 6 things about yourself, and then tag 5 or 6 more people so we can learn about them too! (Here's a MeMe Tutorial)

Jan 30, 2011 09:19 AM #5
Terrie Leighton
Ferrari-Lund Real Estate - Reno, NV
Reno Real Estate Agent ~ Selling Homes in Reno

Vincent ` beautiful shot of the dining room. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful 2011.

Jane ~ OK I guess I will have to go check out your Meme tutorial!!

Jan 31, 2011 07:01 AM #6
Kate Elim
Dockside Realty - Spotsylvania, VA
Realtor 540-226-1964, Selling Homes & Land a

Hi Terri...This is vital information for many Nevada residents in this economic climate.  Good job trying to spread the word.


Jan 31, 2011 12:05 PM #7
Terrie Leighton
Ferrari-Lund Real Estate - Reno, NV
Reno Real Estate Agent ~ Selling Homes in Reno

Thanks Kate. I believe homeowners should take advantage of the this low cost way to keep the equity in their home safe should any unfortunate circumstance arise.

Feb 01, 2011 05:38 AM #8
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Terrie Leighton

Reno Real Estate Agent ~ Selling Homes in Reno
Ask me a question
Spam prevention

Additional Information