When I moved to Pasco County, I did so to be nearer my office. I bought in Pasco County to rid myself of some backwards, almost draconian Hillsborough County rules that negatively affected my business, but then I found myself commuting, so it was time to uproot the Family and head North.
4 years later and this kid who said he would never leave South Tampa, has never been happier.
Allow me to explain just some of the reasons why.
1) Taxes..... The tax rate in Pasco county is much lower....my property taxes, are lower, but so are everyone Else's, lowering the costs of almost all goods and services.
2) Electricity..... My electric bill on my South Tampa house averaged $240 per month. My Lutz office is about $90 for 300 extra square feet and my Land O' Lakes house is about $140 per month. A full 5000 square feet of heated and cooled space costing less than my one South Tampa 1700 sq ft house.
3) The Government..... Somehow Pasco county does more for less. The folks who work in the government offices are friendly and extremely helpful. When inquiring about a permit application, the lady actually took me upstairs and introduced me to the proper person....then made sure that I didn't overpay!
4) Business Friendliness..... The Pasco system is arranged to make it a business friendly county. Sign ordinances are designed to allow the maximum signage consistent with residential concerns whereas Hillsborough is designed to allow the minimum signage to avoid impact.
5) Traffic..... After years of fighting traffic almost everywhere, it is a pleasure to be at my destination in ten minutes. Of course there are rush hours.....but that is everywhere.
6) No Global Warming..... Al Gore's made up rules don't apply here.
But most importantly there are tow things that stick out and both are from today. I forgot to put the trash out last night. At 5:30 I was up and working on a CMA and heard the tell tale sounds of the trash truck moving through the neighborhood. Running outside they were quickly approaching my house. I rushed the two bags to the curb and told the working man that I would meet him at my neighbors....he said, we got you....and followed me to my fence, helped me drag the large cans, dumped them, and then TOLD ME THANK-YOU! What the hell is that???? He Thanked ME?????
In Tampa it was very common for me to arrive home to find my can still full because "it weighed over 70 pounds". I, being the jerk I am, drug my scale outside and weighed the cans several times, taking digital photos and sending in the complaint of my 28lb can, only to be accused of lightening the load before I took the photo and then being told that they "Can't be expected to actually weigh every can, so it is the operators judgment". In other words.....a guess!
Then today, this story was in the newspaper. The City water department has recently charged residents thousands of dollars and in every case they say the bill is accurate. There is obviously a computer or systems malfunction, but thus far the water department is saying....nope, not us! Well, it happened to me about 15 years ago. I had a $500 bill on a vacant property with NO PLUMBING! The City refused to relent and my only option was to pay the city $90 to inspect their own meter. I asked who does the inspection......OH....They do!!!
So you see folks.....I don't HATE the city of Tampa, but I am truly learning to LOVE PASCO COUNTY!
If anyone ever wants to buy a home in PASCO, feel free to contact me, because I really believe in the product.