Well into the winter as we are now, we hope that our furnaces are in good condition and will remain so for the duration. Both old and new forced air systems need some basic maintenance to help keep them running smoothly and efficiently. Here are a few tips:
- Set the thermostat at a reasonable comfort level and leave it alone rather than continuously adjusting it.
- To modify the temperature, install a programmable thermostat which will raise and lower the temperature for daytime and nighttime activities while conserving fuel.
- Fuel efficiency depends very much on the condition of the filter. Check the filter monthly at this time of year, and clean the permanent type. Disposable filters should be replaced often.
- Make sure all dampers and registers are open and unobstructed. In some cases, a diverter, available at most home center stores, can be installed to redirect airflow.
- To insure the best maintenance, contract with an HVAC company which will service your heating and cooling system annually. A qualified service technician will inspect and maintain all parts and will spot trouble before it begins.
Take good care of your furnace and stay warm and comfortable this winter!