We are often asked by our prospective seller clients "What can I do to increase the value of my Hawaii real estate home". This is a very important question because if you don't know the answer to that question you may end up spending a lot of money in "fixing up" your home and may not necessarily increase the value of your home one bit. It is easy to spend money. The key is to know where to spend your money so that you can receive the largest return on your investment and time. Just because you dump $50,000 into renovations does not necessarily mean that your home will go up $50,000 in value. If your house needs a new roof or updated electrical and plumbing you may not see an immediate return on your investment. This is because Hawaii Kai real estate buyers and all buyers for that matter expect a house roof not to leak or for the plumbing to work or the lights to turn on and not flicker. If you have those things, then people over look them. If you don't, then they become a big deal and may detract from the price. But a new roof, plumbing and electrical won't necessarily drive up the price tag. The key to focus on when trying to add value to your Hawaii Kai home is to ask yourself what are the most important things to a prospective buyer (not you) and then just as important - do not OVER improve. You don't want the most expensive Hawaii Kai real estate home in the neighborhood because chances are you won't get your money out.
Here are some ways to get the most out of your home renovations:
1. Kitchen The kitchen is the heart and soul of the house. It is the focal point of parties and guests. Everyone normally gravitates to the kitchen. Plenty of counter and cabinet space is a must. Stainless steel appliances are a plus as well as islands and large deep sinks. Additional lighting is also a bonus as well.
2. Bathrooms Believe it or not, bathrooms are important. Not having enough can be a problem. Also, with bathrooms size matters. Have you ever gone into someone's bathroom and felt claustrophobic? You go to sit down and do your business and you can barely fit in the tiny space. Enlarging a bathroom, especially the master bathroom, can go a long way. Also pay attention to dual sinks, spacious showers, Jacuzzi tubs, and the flooring. You definitely want flooring that can handle water well such as traditional ceramic tile rather than wood or carpet.
3. Curb Appeal Another area to pay attention to with your Hawaii Kai real estate is the curb appeal. Have you ever heard the saying "First impressions can make or break you"? Well that is very true when it comes to real Hawaii real estate. I have been with clients before where we drove up to a prospective listing and they did not even want to get out of the car because of how the outside of the home looked! It doesn't matter how many improvements you have done on the inside, if you neglect your curb appeal it can cost you dearly. You definitely want to get rid of any garbage and clutter. Parked cars in the yard are absolutely a no no! Some of the areas to pay attention to on the exterior of your home are paint, the entrance way (maybe it needs to be repaved), and attractive and well manicured landscaping.
4. Home Office We live in a time and age where many people like to work out of the comfort of their own home. Home based businesses have flourished because of the easy access to the internet. In fact I would dare say that millions of people in america work out of their homes. If you have the space to add a room or transform one of the bedrooms into an office space it will go a long way. There is nothing quite like coming into a home and seeing a grand office with nice wood, ample space, lots of cabinets, and a large work surface. It stirs the emotions and quickly gets a buyer thinking how they might use the space and operate their business.
5. Open Space and Lighting In Hawaii, dark and cramped are not good. The more you can increase the lighting throughout the house and make the home feel more open, the better. Taking down walls in the right places and adding a room can really go a long way to adding value.
We hope these tips have helped you and please feel free to contact us at 888.450.4140 or visit our Hawaii Kai real estate website.