Q. I rented my Bowie MD home when I got PCS orders from Fort Meade to Fort Bragg because I couldn't sell it for enough to cover the mortgage. Now that my home is a rental property, will I still be eligible for the Department of Defense Homeowners Assistance Program known as HAP?
A. Yes, you can use HAP if the property is rented, provided it was your primary residence at the time you received PCS orders.
There are some additional requirements, as well:
- Your permanent reassignment to a new duty station or home port must be outside a 50-mile radius of your former duty station or home port.
- Your reassignment must have been ordered between 1 February 2006 and 30 September 2010.
- Your property must have been purchased before 1 July 2006.
- You must have a decline of at least a 10% home value from the date of purchase to date of sale.
- You must not have previously received these benefit payments.
In addition to active duty military personnel with PCS orders, HAP is also available to some civilian government employees, surviving spouses of military personnel, and wounded military personnel.
The best way for you to confirm your HAP eligibility is to download the application packet and complete the application. Be sure to carefully read all instructions, complete your application, and then mail it to the HAP Field Office in Savannah, Georgia, the district responsible for Maryland. It's not necessary to wait until you have an offer on your home... in fact, it's a good idea to get started right away even if your home isn't on the market for sale yet.
You will need to know the current market value of your property, and that's where I come in... researching that information for you is a service I'm happy to provide without any cost or obligation. Contact me by phone (301-346-2923) or email (MWoda@mris.com) if you believe you may be eligible to sell your Maryland home with HAP.
The information in this blog post should not be construed as legal advice, since the author is not an attorney.
More information about HAP is available on the official website for the
Department of Defense Homeowner's Assistance Program.