Special offer

Michigan Residents: Make Your Contractor Get That Permit

Home Inspector with Diadem Property Inspections - Serving Southeast Michigan

Michigan Residents: Make Your Contractor Get That Permit

There are two types of permits... one for work performed by the home owner, and one for the licensed contractor.

If you are thinking of working on the house and ignorning the permit office -- don't.

And NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER obtain a homeowner's construction permit for a contractor! In Michigan, it is the property owner's responsibility to make sure the permit is obtained, but not to obtain it for the contractor.

What Work Requires A Permit?

According to Section R105 of the 2006 Michigan Residential Code, you basically need a permit to mess with your building structure, or your electrical/mechanical/plumbing structures.

A number of municipalites have gone to a "simple permit" system that issues permits online.

building permit application

There are exemptions to the permit rule. Section R105.2 exempts emergency work (as long as the permit application is submitted to the bulding official by the next business day). Ordinary repairs to the building or property do not require a permit.

Building projects exempt from a permit:

  • One-story detached accessory structures (if the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet)
  • A fence less than 6 feet high
  • A retaining wall not more than 4 feet in height (measured from the bottom of the footing)
  • A sidewalk not more than 30 inches above grad e and not over a basement or story below
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work
  • A pre-fab swimming pool less than 24 inches deep
  • Swings and playground equipment

Electrical projects exempt from a permit:

Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

Mechanical projects exempt from a permit:

  • Portable heating, cooling, cooking, ventilation or clothes drying appliances
  • Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment
  • Piping not regulated by the code inside a heating or cooling device

Plumbing projects exempt from a permit:

  • The stopping of leaks in drains, water pipes and ventilation pipes
  • The clearing of stoppages or repairing leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures
  • The removal and reinstallation of water closets (as long as piping is not rearranged)

The full list of exemptions is available in the 2006 Michigan Residential Code, Section R105.2

Using Contractors

If you are using the services of contractors, make sure they are licensed. Let's say something goes terribly wrong during the construction or remodel. Most homeowner insurance policies wlll not cover damages caused when homeowners use unlicensed labor! So the couple hundred dollars saved can cost a homeowner tens of thousands of dollars... even hundreds of thousands in extreme cases.

Also, keep in mind that in the State of Michigan, it is a misdemeanor for a person to practice construction or remodeling for pay greater than $600 without a license (i.e. feel free to work on your own house or a buddy's house, but don't work on the buddy's house for pay). The $600 figure allows the handyman to take simple projects around houses without being licensed.

It is also against the law to break a large project into a bunch of $599 projects to avoid exceeding the $600 figure.

Licensed contractors answer to the Residential Builders' and Maintenance & Alteration Contractors' Board, a part of the Department of Energy, Labor, and Economic Growth.

If the contractor does cruddy work, you can contact the the Bureau of Commecial Services at the DELEG to complain. These are not the guys the contractor wants as enemies. After an investigation, if you are in the right, the DELEG will take an enforcement action against the contractor. You can also raise a stink with your local building inspector -- as long as the contractor was licensed.

To protect yourself, if the contractor has any employees, be sure he has worker’s compensation (otherwise injured workers can take legal action against you). Be sure he is bonded because if he fails to perform the job, at least you can go after his bond insurance. (A contractor's bond ensures that the work will be completed or that you will be compensated. It is proof of financial responsibility.)




Posted by


Jason Channell     Twitter - Home Inspection LinkedIn Twitter - Home Inspection

Diadem Property Inspections
(888) 699-8710

Learn more: michigan-indoor-air-quality.com

Learn more: HouseSleuth.com

Michigan Builder's License 2101198700
Environmental Solutions Association 3818 -- Certified Mold Inspector & Assessor, Certified Allergen Inspector
International Indoor Air Quality Commission CC1983 --  Indoor Environmental Certified Consultant


Jeff Goodrick
Sea Coast Exclusive Properties - Carlsbad, CA
Coastal Home Specialist 760.822.1020

Don't forget the contractor to sign a release of lien after they have been paid.  I have them sign my own form after the check is cleared to establish a reference point of Paid In Full.

Feb 13, 2011 02:11 PM
Sheila Newton Team Anderson & Greenville SC
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices - C. Dan Joyner - Anderson, SC
Selling the Upstate since 1989

I have always been amazed at how many jobs around the home need a permit!!  And even more surprised at how many contractors fail to get a permit (you know they realize they are supposed to), I understand a homeowner not getting one sometimes because they didn't know better, but not a contractor.

Feb 13, 2011 02:27 PM
Robert Butler
Aspect Inspection - Montreal West Island, QC
Montreal Home Inspector | Aspect Inspection

Excellent, useful information for your clients and everyone in your area. If you could have made the links work for that municipality that you showed with the on-line permit system, that would be something. Why don't you do that on your web site. Provide a list of the towns that do it. Each town name is a link to the permit links for that town. That resource would make your site the go to site to get it done.

Feb 14, 2011 03:46 AM
Not a real person
San Diego, CA

I wonder what the difference is other than one is obtained by the home owner and one is obtained by the contractor. I bet they simply charge the contractor a lot more because he has deep company pockets.

Mar 07, 2011 01:57 PM
Jackie Hawley
Coldwell Banker Professionals - Oxford, MI
Southeast Michigan Real Estate

You're serious about needing a license to do a job over $600? I think I should contact my state rep about that. That means I can't hire an Amish crew to put up a pole barn? A pole barn in my township doesn't require a permit but I have to use a licensed person for the job?

Mar 12, 2011 06:33 AM
Kevin Stripling
Home Inspection Professionals - Saint Clair Shores, MI
Home Inspection Professionals

Great information - and great protection for your home.  

Aug 06, 2014 05:05 AM