It's no secret to anyone who knows me, I like technology. I am constantly evaluating new products to see how I can apply them to my business and personal life. Smart phones have been revolutionary in how they have allowed me to manage my business as a real estate agent while I'm on the road. While I have used a number of smart phones, the IPhone is currently my platform of choice.
These are the top 5 Apps that I have found helpful for clients while they are looking for property.
- Evernote is a fantastic web-based program. It is used for taking text notes, voice notes, and photos. You can have multiple notebooks (so you can set up one as 'house prospects'). You can then import snapshots, notes you take while at the property and voice notes. You can even import pdf documents, so you can have a copy of the listing sheet, disclosures and even a plot plan. (Free)
- Power light is a great free app, which allows you to use your led camera flash as a flash light. Perfect for checking out dark corners of the basement, crawl space or attic. I can't count the number of times I've used it to light up a lock box to access the key. (Free)
- JotNot is a neat app that allows you to take a photo of printed text and convert it to a pdf document. It allows you to adjust the edges of the scan and include multiple pages. The really cool part is that you can send it to someone by email or fax. It also allows you to send it to your evernote account, drop box or idisk account for archiving. This is perfect for that time you need to sign that offer on the perfect house, but you don't have a way to scan or fax it. Free version or $ .99 for pro version.
- Maps + Compass This one you don't even have to download as it comes on iPhone 4's. I mention it because it can be so helpful. The Map can help you find the property, but more importantly it will show you what's around the property. Where are the neighbors, is there a landfill behind that tree line? The compass is so powerful to think about where the natural light will be in the home throughout the day. (Free)
- Loan Calc is a great tool to view monthly mortgage payments based on a loan amount. You can change the variables to look at a 30 year loan vs a 15 year loan. You can also adjust the interest rates and the loan amount. It also allow you to compare two loan products. Cost is $ .99.
While there are a number of property search apps, I have found the property data to be lacking. Here is some more information on property search options in Maine. For mobil access, it is best to use Safari to go directly to Quick MLS or Direct MLS. If you happen to be looking in Greater Portland Maine or Southern Maine, let me know if I can be a help.