Sometimes things go by the wayside, not because they aren't taken care of but because people don't realize they are happening.
This is the exhaust flue for a gas fireplace.
It is the one on the side of my house!
It has been there about 10 years.
There is no damage to the siding, no charring on or around the mechanism and it is installed properly.
This was discovered on a recent inspection.
I have to say, there are very seldom problems with this kind of gas fireplace flue.
But this one certainly has problems. It is a fire hazard.
It has been there only 6 years.
There was charring inside the fireplace on the ceramic gas logs, charring on the angled cover you see here, and charring on the areas above the flue.
Heat is not sent away properly either - you can see melting of the vinyl siding and the vinyl soffit cover above.
THIS IS A FIRE WAITING TO HAPPEN! And it may be only one use of the fireplace away!
The exact problem isn't known, but it needs to be seen by a professional right away.
The Realtor mentioned to the seller not to use the fireplace and showed him why. He had not noticed this problem before!
And it's obviously been there a while.
My recommendation: it's a good idea to walk around your house a few times a year to see what it's telling you! There may be something going on you weren't aware of!