There was a nip in the air this morning and the calendar says fall is upon us. Leaves are just beginning to turn gold, red and yellow throughout Anoka, Chisago and Washington County. The fallen acorns have attracted white-tailed deer as they feast in our Ham Lake backyard. Bright, yellow buses are wisking kids off daily to schools in the Forest Lake, Centennial, Anoka Hennepin school districts daily. We know it is time begin the autumn chores to protect our biggest investment, our home, from the winter ahead.
As a Realtor in the Twin Cities metro, I know how important periodic home maintenance is. We have a mixed bag of weather in MN, some winters can be mild but others are brutal. Getting your home ready in the fall can prevent snow and ice damage which can require costly repairs in the spring.
Here are a few important autumn reminders of repairs and preventive maintenance tips for all homeowners:
- Clean Gutters of leaves and other debris that might clog the drainage. A blocked gutter can cause an ice dam when the snow flies.
- Winterize the lawn tractor or mower and get that snowblower tuned. If you have a plow service, make contact and update your contract prior to the first snowfall.
- Change security lightbulbs in hard to reach outlets. It would hazardous to climb ladders to reach the tip of a garage over an icy driveway.
- Unhook, coil and remove hoses from water spigots. Turn off and winterize sprinkling systems. Turn off water to outside spigots if not frost-free to prevent burst pipes in subzero temperatures.
- Have the annual furnace cleaning and tune-up to be ready for those first cold evenings. Remember to change the furnace filter every month for best efficiency...even if the packaging says "6-month filter". QUICK TIP: Change filter when you make your monthly mortgage payment so you don't forget.
- Check all windows and doors to see if new caulk or weather-striping is needed.
- Fall is the perfect time to paint with the low humidity and crisp breeze. Check deck, siding and trim for peeling paint.
- Fall is the last chance to seal the asphalt driveway prior to winter freezing. Fill cracks and topcoat if necessary.
- Inspect the roof for missing or damaged shingles. Verify that the flashings are sealed from rain and snow.
- Snap a few fall photos while the mums and trees are vibrant with color! Golden yellow oak leaves and vivid red sumacs will look awesome in the local MLS if you decide to sell your home over the winter.
Featured Homes in the Forest Lake, Centennial and Anoka-Hennepin School Districts:
- 3608 Woodland Dr. NE, Ham Lake MN 55304
- 1988 Robin Lane N, Centerville, MN 55038
- 20685 Georgia Ave N, Forest Lake, MN 55025
f you are relocating to Minnesota, are looking for Homes for Sale in the north and east Twin Cities metro area and need help from a professional Realtor, give me a call or visit my website for a FREE Relocation Packet. Acreage homes are my specialty! Serving Anoka, Chisago, Ramsey and Washington Counties in Minnesota.