Just two nights ago, there was a huge commotion in the neighborhood. My wife and I thought we smelled smoke as we were watching an exciting episode of Modern Family. Looked out in the garage and saw through the side window flashing lights all over, and smoke pouring out of the house across the street. The family was home at the time and were able to escape so no one was hurt.
Here are the details as known today.
- Fire started in the basement.
- In the laundry room.
- In the dryer.
- Spread up to the first floor bedroom and into the attic.
- $60,000 damage
I am an experienced Boy Scout leader and all of the Scouts in the troop that are able to carry matches and light a fire ALWAYS carry a ziploc bag of dryer lint in their gear. It is the fastest way to start a fire.
So what's this have to do with the house fire? I would bet $1000 that the dryer vent hose was the cheap plastic or metal accordian style flexible hose that does nothing except collect lint and eventually build up and wait for the spark.
At SLS Home Inspections in Bradley Bourbonnais, my clients safety is my number one priority and I will reccomend strongly that a new homeowner use a solid metal dryer pipe to help reduce the chance of this ever happening.
I am your home inspector for life. When you stop calling me with questions about your new home, I'll stop answering them.
SLS Home Inspections