I am excited about doing an open house tomorrow in Concord which is approximately 20 miles from Lynchburg VA. It is an EarthCraft House which means that it is more energy efficient than a standard home and it is built with sustainable materials.
- The insulation used is more than required by Code. That, along with construction techniques such as ensuring a tight seal around duct work, makes the home "air-tight." A ventilator is used to provide fresh air to the home and remove stale air.
- The exterior is Hardi Plank which is virtually maintenance free and does not produce dust or emit toxic gases.
- The first floor is covered in hickory hardwood--a good option for those with allergies. The upstairs does have some carpet. Its redeeming feature is being made from recycled materials.
- Along with a two-zone heat pump, the entire first floor includes radiant heating with water supplied by an on-demand water heater.
- Appliances and lighting are energy star rated; low e windows tilt in for ease in cleaning.
- All paints, glues, etc. do not contain VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds).
And the home is beautiful, too! Check out the virtual tour at http://www.listingdominator.com/display/?number=56667.
Plus the construction/design firm (Custom Structures, Inc.) has a great marketing tool. They include a DVD player in the home with a DVD that explains the home's features. I went down to the home today with the MLS listing and flyer to educate myself before the open house. Lo and behold, I found the DVD to educate prospective buyers as well as novice agents (novice in the world of green)!