After reading Whitney Peddy's post about the seal slaughter in Canada that is still happening every year and learning that Red Lobster and Long John Silvers are some of the largest purchasers of Canadian seafood sold by Sealers, I felt compelled to re-blog this. Please read it and get involved if you feel led. I can't believe this is still happening.
Help End The Canadian Seal Slaughter
I hope I'm right in thinking that the animal lovers outweigh the easily offended here on ActiveRain. A grusome and cruel slaughter of nearly 500,000 seal pups is happening right now and will continue unless you and I put a stop to it.
- Each year, the Canadian government authorizes hundreds of thousands of baby seals to be clubbed and slaughtered for the use of their meat and pelts
- Hunters repeatedly beat and either kill or hook them with hakapiks and drag them while still concious
- There is no market for seal meat so this is a wasted effort and many seals end up as carcasses piled on top of eachother to rot
- The U.S. banned the sale of seal fur in 1972
- In 2009, the European Union voted to end the sale of seal products and the U.S. Senate passed U.S. Senate Resolution 84 calling to immediately end the annual seal slaughter
- It's still happening, they started the hunt on March 28th
- You can helpI won't post the videos here but I've provided some links below where you can learn more and watch the horrible videos if you want.Support the Harb Seal Bill825,000 signatures needed578,000 so farEvery signature counts