Spring is here and along with it comes our annual spring cleaning. Here are a few tips that will keep you safe when using an extension ladder:
- Before using a ladder outside, make sure to pick out a spot that is far enough from power lines, contact with live wires can be very dangerous
- Place your ladder on ground level and make sure all the locks are in place
- For extension ladders, use the 4 to 1 rule; for each 4 feet of distance between the floor and the topmost point on your ladder, move the base of the ladder one foot outwards. Suppose the ladder is 16 feet long, you would need to place the base 4 feet out.
- Always face the ladder when climbing and make sure to wear slip resistant shoes such as ones with rubber soles
- Make sure all the steps are dry before getting on the ladder and always keep your body centered on the ladder
- Always stand below the "safe-standing level" on a ladder. For an extension ladder this is the fourth step from the top
- Make sure to read and follow the manufacturers instructions. You can find these on your ladder manual