1. All outside doors in your home should have deadbolt locks.
2. When away at night, leave a light burning.
3. Never automatically open your front door. Make sure you know your caller's identity before admitting him.
4. It is advisable to have a wide angle viewer (peep-hole) in the door so that you can check a person's identity without unlocking your door.
5. Do not leave a key over a door or under a mat.
6. When leaving on a trip:
a. Stop all deliveries.
b. Connect a light to a timer.
c. Have a neighbour check your home periodically.
d. Have someone maintain your lawn.
7. Be a concerned neighbour. If you see a suspicious person, car or situation, contact the police.