Realtor Adventures Not Dealing With Selling Houses

Real Estate Agent with William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty CT RES.0783448

This has been a very interesting month for me. On top of what I was doing in real estate, I had a lot of personal ‘fun’ stuff happen to do.

-I had my year & half year old laptop fry on me three days before I went away on vacation to Phoenix. I called Toshibia, thinking I had got a two year warranty, and they were very rude to me & my warranty was only for 1 year. I went over to Bestbuy after looking online, and it took forever to find a sales associate & was in & out of there in 2 hours after getting a new computer. Fortunately, they were ample to save everything on my hard drive and set me up on a new machine quickly and picked it up the next day.

-I drove into Times Square for a friend’s bachelor party on a Saturday early evening. Driving in the city is hard enough with all the people in the streets, but the GPS didn’t work at all getting me the hotel because the buildings are so tall. I haven’t been in the city in ages, but it seems more congested then ever.  It took about me 45 minutes of circling once I got off the highway by asking a cop. The hotel was only like 5 blocks off the highway.

-After very little sleep from the bachelor party, I was able to make it into JFK from Manhattan  in about 20 minutes driving early Sunday morning, which is amazing. I had no problem getting checking in and security. The plane took off about  10 minutes late for my flight to Phoenix. After about 15 minutes up in the air, the pilot said experience problem with navigation system and would try to fix it.  The plane circled over Long Island for about 20 minutes before the pilot announced we had to land. About 20 minutes later , after burning off fuel, we made an emergency landing back at JFK. There were about 4 firetrucks, 3 ambulances and a few port authority cop cars to greet us. Everyone on the plane was fine. They kept us on the ground for about 20 minutes before getting the plane back to the Jetblue terminal and I got back to by the gate. We waited around for about 30 minutes, then they announced they found a new plane. I went over at bought a sandwich for about $9, since it was clear if we left soon, I would miss lunch. We ended up leaving NY about 3.5 later than initially planned, and I arrived in  Phoenix on 3 hours late. For my troubles, Jetblue gave everyone a $50 credit on a future flight to use within the next year.

-The good thing was jetblue didn’t loose my luggage and it was one of the first things on the carousel. I walked outside to the taxi stand. It was about 95 degrees, and I was wearing a long shelve weather and jeans. A taxi came and took me to the Hertz office about 10 minutes away from the airport, where it costs about 1/2 the price of the airport. The guy behind the counter wanted to give me a convertible at no extra cost since I booked a regular size, but the the computer won’t let him because the computer said the car needed an oil charge which was weird since he said it only had 2000 miles.  There were only 2 other cars available that had a GPS, which I requested since Phoenix is huge & I never been there before. One was a toyota Yaris, which I have driven before that was too small, and the other was a GMC Yukon, which is like a tank.  None of the options worked for me, so I decided to drive the Yukon back the airport & exchange it for a normal sized car at no extra cost. On the way to the airport, I entered the 7 lane highway on the extreme and it was impossible to make it over the right with all the traffic, especially not feeling space driving a car that is about 2x the size of your usual car. I ended up missing the airport exit, since I couldn’t move over, and got forced to exit 3 or 4 exits south. When I got the the Hertz at the airport, everyone was very nice and they gave me a black loaded Chevy Impala with Sirus, that was great. I got on my way & everything seemed fine.

-The next morning, I decided to go for a hike over at Camelback Park, which was about 30 minutes from my hotel. On my way up there, I decided to pick up some supplies (new sunglasses, a few power bars & vitamin water). At 9:30 that morning, when I received, the main parking area was full, since there is only about 25 spots, and had to park about 1 mile away. Walking to the main trailhead was fine. The hike to the top of the mountain  took me about 45 minutes, and the view was amazing & I met some nice people from all over the country. I wish I had a backpack, not just my shorts pockets, since there was several spots that I had to get down on my hands & knees to climb, since they were almost straight rock. For some reason or another, I decided to wear a tanktop and subsequence over the couple days, I got a nice ‘farmer’s tan’ and was burned.

-When I got back to the car, I was exhausted from the hike since at the time it was about 90 degrees. I turned on the car, and then the check tire pressure gauge came up. This was on the first times I’ve rented a car, so I wasn’t quite sure what to do, so I called their 800 number and was told to bring back to the airport (about 20 minutes away). I brought the car back, and had to wait about 15 minutes for a new car (a Nissan Altima with 800 miles & the keyless entry) that was fine. It was about 1 PM when I left the airport, and about 1:45 when I was back near by hotel. I walked in the cheesecake factory looking to get some ‘to go’ food. You would think such a simple task, like getting a menu, would be easy but they didn’t have any & was rudely told to look online and call them. I made it back to my hotel where the internet didn’t work, but promptly came back like 15 minutes later. I found the food, called but had to wait 10 minutes to place my order, and then had to wait 15 minutes for food. I got there in time, which was about 2:45 by then, and I still had to wait like 10 minutes for my food. Needless to say, they didn't ‘t give me any service & therefore didn’t get a tip. 

-The next couple days went fine. Tuesday afternoon the rest of the group showed up for the wedding from the NYC/NJ area.  Wednesday night the father of the bride decided he wanted to take all the boys out shooting the next morning.  The next morning, it wasn’t so great since we went out late to give the groom a last ‘hoorah’.  He picked us up at about 10 AM, and drove about 30 minutes into the desert to the gun range. I was very nervous because I never shot before. We each did about 10 shots of skeet at 6 different stations, shooting a shotgun. I didn’t hit a single target, but didn’t shoot anyone in the group which was a big accomplishment to for me since I’m not the most coordinated person in the world..

-I got back to CT Saturday morning, on the redeye that was fine. I got home at about 8:30 am, and slept all day. I went to get my camera to take the pictures off, and get them onto my facebook. My camera turned on, then turned back off.  After looking at the camera more carefully, it turns out that where the battery compartment is, it doesn’t close & the camera only works when I press a couple fingers up against the battery thing to close. I called Nikon, and my warranty was up about 3 months ago.

-If that wasn’t fun enough for this realtor, last week on Friday my computer started making a loud beeping noise that won’t stop. I went over to Bestbuy, which is only about 3 minutes from office. I went over to Geeksquad and waited about 15 minutes to be helped. They took a look, and the motherboard was fried (which was the same problem as my first laptop). They were nice enough to give me a new computer, same kind, and since it gone on sale, they gave my the difference on a store card.

That’s all of my ranting for now.

Posted by

Jonathan Hall-Realtor Serving Greater Danbury & Candlewood Lake with William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty
Search Local Listings
Explore Danbury Condos
203-417-0523 (Cell)
Local Expertise you can count on




This information is provided by Jonathan Hall,Realtor  with William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty in the Greater Danbury & Candlewood Region of CT. For additional information, please call him at 203-417-0523,203-796-7700X305 or email me at . Unless indicated, all content is the property of Jonathan Hall. If you would like to use any of this information, please contact me for permission. He is a licensed CT Salesperson License #RES.0783448 with William Pitt Real Estate LLC License # REB.0751698. His office is located at 112 Federal Road,Danbury CT 06811.


This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
20-Somethings Realtors
realtor life
danbury ct realtor

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Jayne Esposito
Coldwell Banker - Morgan Hill, CA

Wow!  Sounds like a turbulent short sale would be a walk in the park for you compared to all you've been through!  Being from the NY area, here's a hint for your next trip downtown:  Take the  West Side Highway to 44th St.  Park your car in the first available spot (I've always been able to find one in that area) and take a cab to where you want to go!  It's cheaper than parking in midtown, and a lot less aggravating!

Apr 29, 2011 08:29 AM #1
Caroline DeVore, Stowe Vermont Lodging, VT Bed and Breakfast Inn, Vacation Homes
Stowe Meadows Lodge, Stowe VT Romantic and Luxurious Inn - Stowe, VT
Caroline DeVore | Stowe Meadows Lodge, Stowe VT

Oh My!  What a week.  I'm tired just reading the recap.   I love Jayne's suggestion and I'd say the same.  I have a few favorite spots in NYC that I can easily get in and out of.  I park, take cabs the rest of the trip then head out.   Same goes for Boston.  I used to laugh that I could drive from outside Boston to any point inside, but I couldn't connect two inside dots via car....still true 20 yrs later.

Apr 29, 2011 04:38 PM #2
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Jonathan Hall

Realtor - Danbury,CT Area Real Estate~203-417-0523
What do you need to know about Danbury,CT Area Real Estate
Spam prevention

Additional Information