Dave’s Veal Ragu & Pappardelle.
What do you serve to a hungry motley crew that was the question for Rhonda’s Surprised Birthday Dinner and Wine Tasting Event that we were hosting. The answer is Dave’s homemade Veal Ragu served with fresh Pappardelle pasta. Something to feed the group, easy to prepare before hand and delicious left over’s. So without further ado here is the recipe.
3-4 lbs veal shoulder steaks
Salt & pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves minced
3-4 medium carrots finely chopped
2 celery ribs finely chopped
1 onion finely chopped
1 cup red wine
2-3 cups beef or chicken stock
1 fresh rosemary sprig
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon fennel seed
½ teaspoon coriander
1 can chopped tomatoes (14 oz)
1 can stewed tomatoes (14 oz)
2 cans peeled Italian tomatoes (35 oz)
Salt & Pepper Veal, dredge in flour shake off excess. In a large enameled cast iron casserole heat olive oil and brown veal over medium high heat one at a time, transfer to plate.
In same pan add more olive oil if needed and add carrots, celery and onions cook over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic for 1 minute, add one can of tomatoes and deglaze bottom of pan (scrape all of the brown bits off the bottom using a wooden spoon).
Add the rest of the tomatoes, spices, basil and rosemary. Add wine and beef (or chicken) stock. Return the veal back into the sauce and cook with a lid for about 3 hours making sure the veal is submerged.
Take veal out of sauce, let cool, shred and cut meat into bite size pieces and put back into sauce. Stir and taste, add salt and pepper to taste. Keep ragu warm over low heat.
Cook fresh pappardelle as per instructions.
Plate pasta in large serving bowl and put ragu on top, serve and enjoy. ~ Bon appetite.
David Popoff is a license Realtor in Connecticut with William Raveis office in Darien. A life time resident of Fairfield County he has worked throughout lower Fairfield County for over 30 years and now resides in Darien, Ct since 2004.
- Member of the Connecticut Association of Realtors, CAR.
- Member of the National Association of Realtors, NAR.
- David Popoff is an accredited LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP) Homes and USGBC member of the Connecticut chapter (CTGBC).
- Associate member and an accredited Certified Green Professional (CGP) of National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and the local chapter HBRA-Fairfield County, Ct. .
- Contact David Popoff for all your real estate needs in Darien, New Canaan, Rowayton and other parts of Connecticut.