Russel has written yet another interesting blog post. More about business and life in general than our real estate industry, but like I said earlier, an interesting and well illustrated post.
This is a reblog, so don't give me credit for anything except finding it!
I thought this was a family friendly site —
Pornography at ActiveRain
Perhaps we need to define pornography since the Supreme Court couldn't.
I define it as something that I enjoy looking at.
That could explain why I have lots of plants on my properties either with unique flowers (Picture 1) or with a mass of flowers (Picture 2).
Picture 1 — Dutchman's pipe
Picture 2 — Acacia tree
On my bookshelf are several books that I enjoy looking at quite often.... More of my pornography....
If you don't like pornography, redefine it. Make it positive.
I've read them many times, underlined things, re-underlined things, made notes.... There's not a week goes by that I'm not looking through the following five books for tips, tricks, ideas, and suggestions for me and my Clients.
Click on the link or the picture to go directly to the book at amazon.com.
- How to Use Your Time Wisely
by Phyllis C. Kaufman & Arnold Corrigan, ISBN 0-681-40136-2
This book is only 101 pages but should be required reading for everyone graduating from high school, not to mention every person going into business for himself, or for those who seem to be stuck on a plateau in their current jobs. This is where I learned GOLD—you'll just have to buy the book to find out. It's out of print but copies are available for as little as one cent at amazon.com. In my business life, it's been worth thousands and thousands of dollars, and I keep several on hand to give as presents for the newly self-employed, high school and college graduates, etc.
- It's in the Cards! Getting the Biggest Impact From Your Smallest Ad
by Ivan R. Misner, Candace Bailly, and Dan Georgevich, ISBN 0-9740819-0-6
This book is where I have gotten many marketing ideas over the years. You can adapt much of what's in this book for brochures, flyers, postcards, etc. $20 new. Ivan Misner is the founder of Business Network International and an international expert on networking and word-of-mouth marketing.
- 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
by Bob Nelson, ISBN 1-56305-339-X
You can reward employees with more than just a pay raise. So many ways! Gym memberships.... more vacation time.... restaurant gift certificates.... free gas card.... Here in San Diego, I've given free tickets to SeaWorld, the San Diego Zoo, Safari Park, Legoland, Disney World, Magic Mountain, Knott's Berry Farm, Hornblower cruises.... I've given out fine dining certificates to Mr. A's, George's at the Cove, and The Marine Room. Along with the gifts, which everyone enjoys, I've made up a special Certificate of Commendation to go with the announcement and had it framed. I've often found those hanging on the walls of my employees' homes when I dropped by. Employees tend to talk nicely about their employer when they get a gift every three months for that quarter's performance, and a gift every three months is far less expensive for the employer than a raise. Keeps the employee feeling good. You can also use ideas to reward yourself if you're a one-person shop.
- Asset Protection for Physicians and High-Risk Business Owners: How to Protect What You Own from Lawsuits and Claims
by Robert J. Mintz, ISBN 0-9639971-2-2
This one should be read by anyone who is working in a litigious industry. Uh, Realtors and home inspectors? After reading this book and taking some proactive steps, I am now the poorest home inspector in the nation, perhaps even the poorest person. The beautiful thing about this book is that you can download it as a PDF — FREE! — at The Asset Protection Law Center. Scroll down on the home page until you see a picture of the book and simply click on the PDF link. There's also a new "Legal Guide to Asset Protection Planning," also available free as a PDF download.
- The E-Myth Revisited. Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work And What To Do About It
by Michael E. Graber
I was given this book many years ago and have applied the concept of "working on your business and not in it." It also addresses the issues of taking a business from birth through infancy through adolescence through maturity and, of course, death.
Twenty most recent posts
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — Why won't home inspectors do re-inspections?
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — Why re-inspections are a good idea
- Picture of the Moment by Russel Ray Photos — Roses are red, violets are blue.... and Friday the 13th?
- Business & Marketing — If you're quitting business, don't just quit!
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — It is tempting, though
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — It might be time for Mr. Buyer to cancel the purchase contract and move on
- Opinion — I'd rather go to the Zoo than work for a snake.
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — And that's where water spots on the ceiling come from!
- Business & Marketing — Don't let the sun set on YOUR business!
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — When sellers decide they don't want to sell after the home inspection, I get more work!
- Picture of the Moment by Russel Ray Photos — Little boy fascination
- Opinion — Maybe you need to see a therapist
- Flower Fiesta — For all the mothers on Mother's Day
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — It doesn't look, smell, or taste like popcorn!
- Business & Marketing — How much is your 2¢ worth, worth?
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — Don't just take a shower!
- Pay It Forward — Would you like a glass of Google juice? It's good for you! (part 12)
- Business & Marketing — You can do as much, or as little, as you choose!
- Unlocking the secrets of your home — Your real estate agent can only do so much. Turn that so much into so much more!
- The Music Chronicles of Russel Ray — This Mother's Day, give your mom the gift of....
If you need a home inspection to make your day,
make sure it's one by Russel Ray!
Try Russel Ray Photos
for inexpensive, royalty-free photos.
Member since 2003 of
The world’s largest and best trade association for home inspectors!