Referrals are one of the easiest business to get and account for a majority of many agents business. Here are are some key things to do to get these referrals.
1. Giving exceptional customer service - By providing your current clients with great service they will be more than willing to pass on your name when they know of someone buying or selling.
2. Consistent contact with past clients- Although you succeeded with step one make sure you continue to have a system in place to contact these past clients into the future.
3. Referral appreciation- Give a token of thanks to people who refer you business. Ideas: Maybe a $5 gift card to Starbucks, dinner at your home, or as a team in my office does, reserve a movie theater and invite everyone that has helped you out in the past or who you know may help you.
4. May sure other agents know - Whether you meet a agent in another state let them know if they have a potential client for your area to contact you. Or as in my case let agents in your own office know that you may work a certain area. For example I am licensed in Maryland as well as West Virginia. Of course Activerain is a great place to get referrals!
5. Make sure everyone knows your an agent- I'm sure many of your friends, family, and members of organizations you belong to don't realize you are a real estate agent. I know I have to work on that. Besides securing those people as clients themselves, they are a good bet of passing along your name.