It is Memorial Weekend - Can It Wait Until Tuesday ?
About five years ago, I had a buyer who was back and forth on putting in an offer on a property. His parents were in town over Memorial weekend and asked to see the property that he was intereted in again and then to submit an offer on it. I had to make a decision to take time away from Stephanie and family plans in order to accommodate this. I did choose "business" over family. This decision lead into the next day as it was an escapade delivering it to the other agent so it ended up taking two days away of the holiday weekend. It caused stress for sure missing out on sun and relaxation for the sacrifice. Since then, I made a commitment that family and myself would come first over these holidays than a buyer wanting to see properties. It would have to be special circumstances to switch up on that. Of course, if one of our clients was in need, we would make sure to accommodate them if something could not wait until Tuesday.
If you think about it, the majority of time, these situations can wait until Tuesday. For example, since everyone else is on vacation, what are the chances the listing agent is working that will be able to do anything with a submitted offer ? And even if they are, what are the chances that the seller is available ? All the stars would have to align for that deal to be closed over a holiday weekend. Most importantly, it is the ability for yourself to be able to set boundaries and have balance in your life.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to a business decision. If you do not want to spend time with family or take a break and choose to take buyers out over Memorial weekend, all good. But when you are in that position and you have plans and you get that phone call from a buyer asking to see a property the next day, think twice before rearranging your schedule and your vacation plans with your family and simply say "How about Tuesday or Wednesday next week ?". If you have a good relationship with your buyer client, they will surely understand. If it is a do or die situation, then I would look into having an agent in your network do the showing for you.
And if you are asking if that deal worked out ? It did not.
What are your thoughts about balance with work ? Would you rearrange your vacation for a buyers request for showings ? Or try to have it wait until Tuesday ?