Blogging For Business Isn't Like Microwaving Popcorn!
Remove bag. Lay correct side up. Beep boop beep, Enter. BZZZRAP...popPOPpopPOP! BING! Done. Hot HOT hoooootttt!!!
Yep, if only it were that easy. If ONLY we typed a blog post, hit SUBMIT, and two minutes later we got a HOT prospect ready to buy or sell a home, and we were the ONLY ones they wanted to talk to!
But it doesn't work that way, does it? There are certainly things we can do to improve the odds of getting a HOT prospect to call us. We're approaching our one year anniversary of our first blog post and it took us quite awhile to fully grasp the changes we needed to make to increase the odds that a REAL LIVE CONSUMER would contact us!
And your results? Your mileage may vary according to MANY factors.
- Is your market tech savvy? Will consumers go to the Net to explore real estate? Or is your area dominated by a few agents and primarily "old boy"??
- Do you have a focus for your posts, or are you shotgunning? Spraying post pellets in every direction and at every topic?
- Do you have a direct consumer focus, or are you spending a lot of time on agent to agent posting? Members Only posts ARE fun, and if you live in an area that has high probability for referrals, this focus might be productive. On the other hand, if you live somewhere with little opportunity for a referral, your time might be better spent writing another consumer post or two or five!
- Are you giving the consumers what THEY want and not what you feel like giving them? Market reports may be no fun to write, but it's something that interests people, even the ones that have no plans to move anytime soon. (not saying we're the model of performance on this one either!)
- Local event info? Connect yourself in through your local organizations and Facebook pages and become a consolidator and broadcaster of valuable information. Even though not directly related to real estate, you're establishing yourself has someone who knows the area, just one key criteria that factors into agent selection.
- Show up regularly! It may not be every day, but enough to build an expectation for your followers. And every blog post keeps advertising for you 24/7/365. They don't quit!
- SEO! We're no experts by any means, but figuring out your target markets key search terms and hitting them HARD is crucial to being found.
- Do you have someplace to send them for more info? If they can't search for homes somehow, your buyer prospects will be heading to someone else's website. You do have a website, right??
This list is just scratching the surface. There are many other factors, your writing style, your personality, your ability to use spell check, blog aesthetics, whether you look like their Ex, that all factor into whether the consumers will call you or not.
But the one attribute you need? PATIENCE! If it was EASY, every agent in the world would be blogging for business.
Invest the time, have some fun, develop your focus, but DO NOT assume 30 days, or 60, or even 90 days is long enough. If your focus is on mark from the start, it might be be enough time, but more likely, this is a prospecting activity with a long term outlook. And by the way, Active Rain is the perfect place to learn your lessons! :)
Keep on Blogging,
Liz and Bill aka BLiz