So if the world were logical, you'd assume that going direct to the builder would get you a juicy discount if you skipped using a REALTOR®, wouldn't you?
And perhaps with some smaller builders, that might even be true. If you're feeling lucky, you may try that gambit and see what happens. But before you do, please consider the following:
- A builder's rep works for who? Hint: It's NOT you! Don't get us wrong, they'll be VERY helpful! Their paychecks depend on their ability to get you to buy a home and pile on as many options as you can pay for! But ultimately if there's an issue and you're dissatisfied, who's your TRUE advocate? That's the plus of having your own representative, your REALTOR®! We don't have any special interest in making the builder happy, we ONLY work for you!
- Larger builders EXPECT to pay a REALTOR's® fee. It's worked into their pricing model. They figure about half the buyers will have an agent, and the rest will come in solo. Knowing that, they build that payment into their cost overhead, so they don't give a discount for NOT having your own representation.
- The builder's rep has ONE job: SELL NEW CONSTRUCTION! They're not in the business of pushing resale homes, even ones their builder made. So you might LOVE the builder, but not the location. Sorry about your luck! But if you have a REALTOR®, we can be looking for that "almost new" home that the builder made in another development! This is especially true if you're looking for a niche home like a patio home! New construction is pretty limited, but if you hire a REALTOR® with knowledge of that niche, they may know other places where the builder has come and gone!
- The builder's rep won't tell you you're OVERPAYING for your new home! They're NOT in the business of worrying about resale for you years down the road. Time and again we've been asked to help someone sell their home who bought WITHOUT a REALTOR® and we realize they badly overpaid for their new home. Or that "discount lot" that had the really good deal, was a "deal killer" years later in the resale market. Backing up to the high tension wires, the retention pond, the corner lot with no back yard.
- The builder's rep isn't going to tell you some of the things your REALTOR® will. Like "Get a home inspector!". Of course the builder makes high quality product, but mistakes ARE made! Having a professional come out and check things over, ESPECIALLY before the drywall goes up, just might save you some major grief later!
So it's not our intent to try to scare you, just make you aware of some of the items that need your consideration. Since it's not costing you ANY extra to have representation, why WOULDN'T you hire a REALTOR®?
Serving Warren County's residential real estate needs,
Liz and Bill aka BLiz