I am frequently asked about possible home condition issues related to getting a FHA loan. As provided by Deborah Pool, one of our leading appraisers, I believe you will find the below information useful and a resource to keep on file.
Gregg Anderson, Loan Consultant, imortgage, Medford, Oregon, (541) 646-3027, NMLS ID 385008
FHA Standards for Appraisal Inspection
HUD - FHA takes health and safety issues seriously and aims to ensure that our borrowers are purchasing a home that meets all FHA requirements. The following is a list of items that will be required to be repaired if any health/safety issues are noted by the appraiser or discovered by the underwriter.
- Missing handrails. Must have hand rails for 3 or more steps.
- Cracked/broken window glass to be replaced.
- Windows must be operable.
- Minor plumbing leaks (such as leaky faucets).
- Smoke detectors must be working. Minimum of 1 per bedroom group.
- Evidence of previous (non-active) wood destroying pest/organism damage where there is evidence of unrepaired structural damage.
- Vegetation must be 6" from all structures.
- Damaged plaster, sheetrock or other wall and ceiling materials in homes constructed pre-1978. (possible lead paint hazard)
- Trip hazards
- Homes with wood burning stoves or solar system as primary heat source must have permanently installed conventional heating system.
- Home, yard or crawl space with debris and trash.
- Inadequate access/egress from bedrooms to exterior of home.
- Leaking or worn out roofs. If 3 or more layers of singles exist on a leaking/worn out roof, all shingles must be removed prior to re-roofing.
- Evidence of structural problems.
- Window bars in bedrooms require quick release latches. Local jurisdiction can require all windows to have quick release latches.
- Defective exterior paint surfaces in homes constructed post-1978 where the finish is unprotected.
- Well must be a minimum of 50' from a septic tank, 100' from drain field, and a minimum of 10' from any property line.
Above information provided courtesy of:
Deborah Pool, Deborah Pool Appraisal, CR00279 - Certified Residential
P.O. Box 308, Ashland, OR 97520
(541) 951-3324; firstname.lastname@example.org