CITY OF LEAGUE CITY ENACTS STAGE THREE OF DROUGHT CONTININGENCY PLAN: MANDATORY WATER RATIONING
The City of League City is enacting stage three of the Drought Contingency Plan due to the current water usage. This plan is necessary to maintain pressure for firefighting purposes and to avoid other problems associated with low pressure. The following mandatory restrictions are required during stage three of the Drought Contingency Plan:
- Irrigation of landscaped areas is limited to Tuesdays and Thursdays for water customers with even-numbered addresses, and Mondays and Wednesdays for water customers with odd-numbered addresses. Irrigation of landscaped areas is further limited to the hours between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. on designated watering days. Irrigation shall be by means of hand-held hoses, hand-held buckets, drip irrigation, or permanently installed automatic sprinkler system only. The use of hose-end sprinklers is prohibited at all times.
- Use of water to wash any motor vehicle, motorbike, boat, trailer, airplane, or other vehicle is prohibited except on designated watering days from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Such washing, when allowed, shall be done with a hand-held bucket or a hand-held hose equipped with a positive shutoff nozzle for quick rinses. Vehicle washing may be done at any time on the premises of a commercial car wash or commercial service station. Washing may be exempted from these regulations if the health, safety and welfare of the public is contingent upon frequent vehicle cleansing, such as garbage trucks and vehicles used to transport food and perishables.
- Use of water to fill, refill or add to any indoor or outdoor swimming pools, wading pools and Jacuzzi-type pools is prohibited except on designated watering days from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Use of water for washing down of any sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, or other hard-surfaced areas is prohibited.
- Using water to wash down buildings or structures for purposes other than immediate fire protection is prohibited.
- Flushing gutters or permitting water to run or accumulate in any gutter or street is prohibited.
- Failing to repair a controllable leak within a reasonable period of five days after having been given notice directing the repair of such leak is prohibited.
- Operation of any ornamental fountain or pond for aesthetic or scenic purposes is prohibited except when necessary to support aquatic life or when such fountains or ponds are equipped with a recirculation system.
- Use of water from hydrants shall be limited to fire fighting, related activities, or other activities necessary to maintain public health, safety and welfare, except that use of water from designated fire hydrants for construction purposes under special permit is discontinued.
- All restaurants are prohibited from serving water to patrons except upon request of the patron.
- The watering of golf course tee boxes is prohibited unless the golf course utilizes a water source other than that provided by the city.
Violations of the restriction are considered misdemeanor crimes. Violator may face fines of $500.00 plus court fees each day that one or more restrictions are violated.
The City of League City will continue to monitor the water levels and update residents on www.leaguecity.com, through our Blackboard call system, social media sites, and on electronic message boards throughout the city. The patience of League City residents and businesses is greatly appreciated during this phase of the Drought Contingency Plan.