20 Tips to Sell Your Home Faster - Bergen County Specialist
As a Top RE/MAX Associate I am very proud of my track record. I’m in the RE/MAX Hall of Fame and have a Lifetime Achievement Award as well as countless New Jersey Association of Realtors Circle of Excellence Awards however one thing I’ve come to understand is that selling a home – unlike many other transactions, is a team effort. When my homeowners understand what needs to be done to achieve their goals, those goals are inevitably achieved. It is in that spirit that I present 20 Tips for Selling Your Home Faster – Especially in Bergen County NJ – my market and the one I’m most familiar with.
1. You can only can make one 1st impression: Make the most of it! A well maintained lawn, clutter free entry, a tidy rooms, etc. Look at your with “fresh eyes” – as if you’ve never seen it before and address whatever isn’t appearing clean, neat, organized and well cared for. Want to sell your home faster? Take this one to heart.
2. Make a small investment for Future Dividends: Is your paint fading? Is the woodwork scuffed? New wall paper,a fresh coat of paint or some wood polishing are inexpensive and can go a LONG way to making your home more desirable to a buyer and making it sell faster!
3. Check Faucets & Bulbs: Dripping water actually rattles the nerves, discolors sinks and suggests worn-out plumbing. Burned out light bulbs leave buyers in the dark and suggest a lack of care and maintenance...do it before your home goes on the market - it'll help it sell faster.
4. If cabinets or closet doors stick that will only aggravate potential buyers. They can be easily planed or repaired and it eliminates the need for explanations.
5. Think Safety - Homeowners learn to live with all kinds of booby traps: Long extension cords, slippery throw rugs, low hanging lights…suffice it to say your home shouldn’t be treacherous for those not familiar with it. Booby-traps don't make your home sell faster - they only give buyers pause!
6. Storage space: Make room, buyers are looking for more than just comfortable living space, they’re looking for storage space too so your attic, basement and garage should be as free and clear as possible.
7. Consider Your Closets: The better organized a closet, the larger it appears. Now’s the time to box up those unwanted clothes and donate them to charity! You'll help the less fortunate and ... you'll help your home sell faster!
8. Make Your Bathrooms Sparkle: Bathrooms sell homes so let them shine! Check and repair damaged or unsightly caulking in the tubs and showers. For added allure, display your best towels, mats and shower curtains.
9. Create Dream Bedrooms: Wake up prospects to the cozy comforts of your bedrooms. Get rid of excess furniture for a more spacious look. Attractive bedspreads and curtains are very important.
10 Evening Showings: When showing your home at night – turn on all the lights. Light adds color, warmth and make potential buyers feel welcome. A welcome buyer wants to buy your home fast - not wait and possibly lose the opportunity!
11 Open Up in the Daytime: Let the sun shine in! Pull back your curtains and drapes so prospects can see how bright and cheery your home can be. They won't want to leave!
12 Avoid Crowd Scenes – Potential buyers sometimes feel like intruders when they arrive at a home filled with people. Keep the number of people in the home during showings to a minimum.
13. Watch Your Pets – Dogs and cats are great companions but not when you’re showing your home. Pets have a talent for being affectionate or wanting attention the feeling isn’t always mutual. It’s best to keep them out of the way....if you want to sell your home faster!
14. Volume Control: Keep your TV and Stereo off or at very low volumes.
15. Relax: No need to try and force conversation, being friendly is perfect but prospects don’t want too much distraction when checking out your home.
16. Don’t be Apologetic: No matter how humble your home, never apologize for its shortcomings. No home is perfect. If a prospect raises an objection let an experienced Realtor handle the situation – we’ve handled these before & know how to get your home to sell faster!
17. Keep a Low Profile: Nobody knows your home the way you do but an experienced real estate agent knows buyers – what they need and what they want. A good agent will be able to articulate your homes virtues and minimize any shortcomings.
18. Don’t Turn Your Home into a Garage Sale: When prospects are looking at your home don’t distract them with offers to sell the furnishings. Let's sell your house faster and worry about the furniture later.
19. Defer to Experience – When prospects want to talk price, terms or other real estate matters, let them speak to an expert – again, we’ve had these conversations many times and understand the potential pitfalls and successful scenarios.
20. Schedule With Your Agent: It’s always easier to sell your home when the agent representing you is present. Make sure showings are scheduled through his/her office.
For all your real estate needs and questions please call me and I’ll do my best to help you reach your goals. Visit my web site: www.ruthweitzman.com