Are you in a groove... ... or in a rut?
Simple question, right? Maybe not.
So many times we have heard or said the phrase "cant see the forest for the trees" (or any similar style metaphor). The big question is we know the terminology and we use it to help others but what about when we need to hear it ourselves?
Here are some of the things I look for (and fall in, as you may be shocked to find out I have not achieved perfection yet) lol
- Are you doing the same things but results are down
- have you looked for new contacts or connections
- have you stepped out of yourself for a day or two to get a different view/fresh perspective
- what are you doing today that you didn't do before
- what did you used to do that you stopped
- what could you do that you haven't
- is the glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty (where is your head at?)
- are you a positive force or do you join in all the complaining about our industry of choice
- have you reached out to your past clients
- have you tried anything new
OK so now what?
You read my "Dave's top ten list"and think to yourself thats good"I should..." or "I really need to..." (fill in the blanks) but you need some push or some direction or guidance or maybe just someone to bounce off ideas and do a little soul searching or brainstorming. THEN DO IT!!!
Many times we do something that garners results, maybe by luck, maybe by effort, maybe by market conditions, maybe by attitude or whatever, then that groove turns into a rut.
Whats the difference? ITS HUGE!!
A groove is when things are clicking on all cylinders, everything you touch turns to gold, clients are pouring in offers and or approvals are pouring in and life is good.
A rut is when those times start a changing, things aren't clicking on all cylinders, everything isn't so golden, clients are not beating down your door etc BUT you continue to do the same thing and expect the same results. As we know (maybe maybe not) insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
Now I am not a big advocate in all of that but some I do buy into. What I don't agree with is I am a TOTAL believer in positivity attracts and attitude DOES affect performance so two people can do the same thing, in the same market and see different results. HOWEVER if you are positive and see your results dwindling and you are NOT doing anything different, you have gone from groove to rut!!!
OK I am in a rut, now what?
Start by doing something different maybe its reaching out to your old client base (not just as marketing but an actual touch base or send them something useful (ie: info, recipes, new restaurant that opened, great happy hour, how to??? info anything that reflects you and may be perceived as something other than a marketing only piece and see what doors that opens for you.
Here are some additional tips
- Reach out to old client base contacts
- get some different clothes and change your look
- avoid anything and anyone negative (its far easier to sink down than it is to RISE UP)
- Start blogging about your life and talents and areas of expertise
- Network network network (to me this is more valuable than location location location)
- take a course on SEO or some other aspect that will help you drive in business
- market or partner with someone new, in a fresh or new way
- talk to your boss or peers (if you are the boss) or someone you trust
- take a day or two off to really evaluate what you are doing and why
- in all things stay positive, focused and know who you are, why you do what you do and dont be ashamed of sharing that with as many as you can!
On a last note: While I am just one person, I am also more than willing to help others any way I can, so feel free to call or email me with questions or help advice tips. I don't bite (hard that is lol) and LOVE the industry I chose and the people in it, as each and every one of us are unique and special!!!!
Get OUT of your rut and back into a Groove!!!!!!