Wallace Gibson of Virginia wrote this post letting us know some ways to track tenants that have left no forwarding address. She has some good ideas. The suggestions she has given could also be used for tracking others too like lost friends ex's etc. Thanks for sharing your expertise Wallace.
Wallace, can you write a post on how to find people when you have been stuck in this position of locating someone? That would be an interesting post. You probably have had to pick up those pieces before.
Cheryl Ritchie requested that I write a post about how to find former tenants who have 'departed' without leaving their forwarding address.
In the "olden days";, utility companies would provide this information, but no more as they are bound by privacy concerns.
1) The easiest/cheapest is through the USPS with an Address Services Requested under your return address. If they have a forwarding address on file, your piece of mail will be forwarded and the post office will give you that information for $.50.
2) Credit grantor/member subscribers to tenant screening services can wait a few months and then run a credit report on them. If they owe you $$$, you can run a report 2X every 12 months and this is a very good way to find them; however, it will cost more money and you will need their social security number.
3) If they have moved locally, their children may well be in the same schools so that is a resource - either to follow them home from picking the children up or dropping them off at school. If you talk to children who live near the property, they will L♥VE to tell you about the house, parents and kids....just ask interested. I've had a child lead me on his bike to my former residents' new home 4 blocks away from the rental home they just vacated.
4) If you know where they have graduated from - the online alumni information is helpful.
5) I have also send residents an EMPTY FedEx box and tracked where it was delivered to. Fed Ex will call them and determine an alternative delivery address and this information is available online from the tracking #. Slip a GPS chip into the package and BINGO! This will find them FAST! for about $200.
If you have other suggestions, tack them on in your comments, please!.
Wallace S. Gibson, CPM * GIBSON MANAGEMENT GROUP, Ltd.
View our available Charlottesville, Albemarle and Lake Monticello rental homes online with photos and floor plans
"...to be a Virginian, either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one's Mother's side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from the Almighty God...." Anonymous