With some deliberate decisions you can design your home green with very little effort.
In fact the Design Trends for this fall and spring 2008 are all about the natural elements and Green Living. These materials are expressive of the environmentally conscious issues that are meaningful to us today. Colors being forecasted are rich and comforting, reflective of the friendly earthy outdoors:
New Neutrals, Grassy & Botanical Greens, Chocolate Browns and Indigo Blues anchoring delicate, Apricots and Rosy pinks, Sea glass blue and Creamy whites. For a pop of contrast a floral inspired violet is being added to the palate. (For more information on Trends visit my blog on Design & Color Trends - fall 2007
Many of the most luxurious materials and finishes in Design have actually always been natural and even organic. Consider these tips for decorating a beautiful green room:
- Wall Coverings - Begin the design of your room with an organic treatment. There are many options in today's marketplace that are now low in maintenance, high in performance and most importantly have low to no toxins released into the environment including Benjamin Moore's hottest product, Aura paint. For a more luxurious treatment look into lime paint, American Clay and Venetian plaster that are highly pigmented and provide the elegance and sheen of the old world. For wall coverings which are making a huge comeback, try the tried and true grass cloth, it is available in so many colors and patterns and will warm up your space instantly or have fun designing your own pattern with cork tiles.
- Window treatments, upholstery and bedding in luxurious breathable cottons or sheers in rafia and other natural fabrics that are in no way chemically treated are beautiful and green, if possible go for the organic.
- Area rugs & Carpeting - Select Natural fibers like Sea grass, Sisal, Cotton or hand dyed wools. The possibilities are endless and what is most effective is that they are low in maintance and high in longevity plus natural in tone, allowing you to bring the color and textures of the outdoors into your home. Make sure the backings are 100% natural jute.
- Entry, Kitchen - Consider tiles that are vegetable dyed; bamboo flooring that has longevity and a modern flair; natural stone or slate or reclaimed French terracotta tiles from an old chateaux will give your home instant charm.
- Furniture - This Fall is the perfect time to seek out the flea markets and purchase salvaged woods or doors for your next renovation. Look into the heartiness of natural woods like teak for a coffee table or headboard.
- Accessories - Take a stroll into your backyard for a birch branch, appreciate its form and it will become one of your most beloved artful objects, create a bamboo arrangement or here in South Florida you can scour the beach for a collection of shells.
To schedule a design appointment or for more information on green materials, finishes and products for the home, please feel free to contact Lisa Robbins at Au Courant Home. Au Courant Home is a boutique firm that is all about enhancing your experience of living at home. Our services include Real Estate Sales, Relocation, Home Staging, Accessorizing and Interior Decorating & Design. We are located in Aventura Florida ( North Miami, South Florida).