Don't bet against the house.
Funny saying, we all have heard it yet many of us are doing that exact thing right now and betting against the house?
First off there is no doubt the lack of underwriting standards, control, due diligence and greed played a pivotal role in the housing bubble (creation and implosion) but for those who bought pre 2003-2005 or post 2009-10 or later you are buying at true market or even deflated prices and will see gains on your investment.
But the investment is only part of this and the other factor not discussed much is the fact YOU LIVE THERE! You have to like the property (assuming it your primary residence and not an investment property), it fits your needs, goals, something you are proud of and obviously has to fit your budget. If not why are you looking?
Housing is a safe bet (when the prices are not manipulated and inflated).
If you don't believe me here are just some bullet points on housing...
- Most Americans wealth is in housing
- Most retiree's savings and reserves is the equity in their home/real estate
- Real Estate has, on average, shown a level or greater appreciation than the overall economy
- Real Estate gives a sense of pride as well as community and increases local business
- Real Estate has made more Millionaires than any other single industry
- Real Estate is one of the BIG 3 needs (food, shelter, clothing) cant live without these
- Population is constantly growing and housing is a basic need and will continue to grow
- During this recent "depression" housing starts have fallen to ALL TIME LOWS (population didn't stop) so this means values WILL rise again sooner rather than later
- Mortgage interest is a large factor at reducing your tax base (creates net revenue for you)
- You are creating wealth for you NOT someone else by owning your home and not paying rent!
Lets add to the above with income, house prices and interest rates combine currently to make housing at 50y all time highs for affordability and you better remember... DON'T BET AGAINST THE HOUSE!!!
Make it your best year as there are opportunities all around!