Special offer

Boo! Haunted Houses

By
Home Inspector with IonHomeInspection.com - Houston Metro Home Inspection


 

17-Hundred-90 Restaurant & Inn - Savannah, GA

The History: This inn was actually built in 1820, not 1790.  First a boarding house and later an inn, this home has had many owners and guests.  One of these guests was Anne Powell.  The legend says she was unhappily married at 16 years of age to an Englishman.  She fell in love with a German sailor who left her in the family way.  She watched his boat sail away and then committed suicide by jumping from the window, landing on the brick pavement below.

The Haunting:  Anne Powell is the most famous ghost, believed to haunt guest room 204 from where it is said she jumped to her death.  She doesn't seem to be a menacing spirit: she sits beside the fire, lays out guests' clothes on the bed or plays pranks on guests waking them up in wee hours of the morning by setting off the radio alarm.  Another ghost in the basement kitchen and restaurant doesn't like women very much and likes to shove them around.  But this ghost is countered by the ghost of a merchant marine who will help the staff turn the lights off at closing.

How to see it: Savannah ghost tours stop here for a drink but you can go to the restaurant yourself and have a bite to eat.  Or if you really dare, spend the night instead - ask for room 204!

www.17hundred90.com
www.hauntedhouses.com/states/ga/17hundred90.cfm

 

Alcatraz Island - San Francisco Bay, CA

The History: Not a house per se, but people "lived" there right? Anyway, Alcatraz started as a military fort in 1850. It was used as a military prison and then a federal prison after 1934. In 1963 the prison was closed due to the cost of operations. As a prison, Alcatraz had a reputation of being a hard place to live in which prisoners were there to be shut away rather than rehabilitated. Punishments could be harsh such as restricted diet, solitary confinement, and hard labor. There were the now infamous solitary cells like the "strip cell" and the "hole" that even made the most hardened prisoners think twice about breaking any rules.

The Haunting: This place was creating ghost stories before being shut down. Guards retell odd tales of ghosts attacking inmates or making noises. Today, there are still many haunting "hot spots" on the island. There is the utility corridor where three escapees were gunned down; this doorway is now welded shut but many say there is the sound of clanging against the door; perhaps something wants out... There are also reports of running in the corridors, voices in the cells and medical ward and screams from the dungeons and isolation units.

How to see it Tours are available of the island and complex. Depending on the time of year, you may have to use different ferry system to the island. 

www.nps.gov/alcatraz/

www.cr.nps.gov/museum/exhibits/alca/

www.alcatrazhistory.com/mainpg.htm

www.prairieghosts.com/gpalcatraz.html www.legendsofamerica.com/CA-Alcatraz.html

 

Amityville - Amityville, NY

The History: On November 14, 1974 Ronald DeFeo took a rifle around 3AM and systematically shot his parents, two brothers and two sisters.  This is the ghastly beginning of the hauntings in this Amityville home.  The fame of this home spread after the ownership of Lutz family who purchased the home in 1975.  They stayed only 28 days before the supernatural pushed them back out.

The Haunting: At first the Lutz family noticed cold spots and muffled spots where sound did not carry well.  This they could ignore as unusual but not necessarily unnatural.  However, soon other events began to happen.  Mr. Lutz would hear loud noises or footsteps downstairs but when he went downstairs, it was quiet and the dog would be sleeping as if nothing had happened.  Mrs. Lutz began to feel the presence of an older woman and began to show increased aging as if she was becoming the old woman herself.  They then discovered a small store room painted red that did not appear on the original house plans.  The room had a strong odor that did not have an identifiable source and the dog was scared of the room.  The mysterious events and depressing feelings of the house kept adding up until the family decided to break free.  The story of the haunting has been made into movies, but Mr. Lutz considered these to be exaggerated. 

How to see it: This home is privately owned.  The curious are asked to respect the owner's privacy and not visit the home.  It is NOT open for tours.

www.amityvillehorror.com

www.ghostvillage.com

thebeyond.info/hollywood/amityville.htm

www.amityvillehorrortruth.com


Belcourt Castle - Newport, RI

The History: This 60 room castle was completed in 1894 as a summer cottage for Oliver Belmont.  This "bachelor pad" had only one bedroom, no guestrooms and the entire first floor was dedicated to Oliver's carriage horses and their carriages.  Eventually it was renovated for Oliver's new wife, Alva (formerly Mrs. Vanderbilt) who enjoyed staying at this home.  Belcourt was purchased by the Tinney family in 1956 who began giving tours in 1957.

The Haunting: Unlike other homes where the house holds the spirits, it is believed the ghosts at Belcourt Castle come from the numerous antiques in its collection.  The most famous is "the monk" who seems to be connected to a 17th century German woodcarving.  This shadowy figure appears next to the carving and then disappears.  The Gothic ballroom contains some of the most haunted artifacts including possessed chairs!

How to see it: Belcourt Castle offers a 90 minutes ghost tour for $18/person.  There are also other general tours, candlelight tours and teas.

www.belcourtcastle.org

www.quahog.org/attractions/index.php?id=1031

www.associatedcontent.com

 

Brumder Mansion - Milwaukee, WI

The History: George Brumder had the home built in 1910 for his son, George Jr.  After they sold the home, the house was everything from a boarding house to an activity center for the Lutheran church.   They used the home for office space, a theater, and later opened a coffee house with a live music venue.  The current owners purchased the home in 1997 and opened the renovated space as a B&B in 1998.

The Haunting: The Gold Room was once the room for one of the Brumder daughters who never married after being spurned in love early in life.  She is said to still stay in the room, in fact she was quite appalled and upset when the current owner spent the night in this room with her dogs - no dogs allowed!  Your dreams will be haunted if any dogs sleep on the bed!

How to see it: It's a Bed & Breakfast, so take the plunge and spend the night - request the Gold Suite!  You can even join a ghost hunting seminar or enjoy and haunted history dinner! 

www.brumdermansion.com

www.milwaukeeghosts.com

www.hauntedhouses.com

 

Driskill Hotel - Austin, TX

The History: Jesse Lincoln Driskill opened this hotel in 1886. The hotel was grand and luxurious, funded by his success as a cattle baron. In 1888, the family lost its fortune due to drought and a cold winter that killed most of the cattle. The hotel then changed from owner to owner with the most recent change of hands in 1995.

The Haunting: Driskill is claimed to still wander the hotel, puffing cigar smoke, he turns lights on and off. There is the ghost of a small girl, daughter of a Senator who was left unattended and fell to her death while playing with her ball - she can still be heard bouncing the ball today.

How to see it: The hotel is open to guest today and offers all kinds of luxury and pampering. To find out more about staying, click here. Or you can also take a tour featuring this hotel among other sites.

www.driskillhotel.com

www.austinghosttours.com

www.whatwasthen.com/driskill.html

 

Forepaugh's Victorian Mansion - St. Paul, MN

The History: Joseph Forepaugh had the home built in 1870 for his family.  It is rumored he had an affair with one of the servants, Molly, who hung herself after they broke it off.  Joseph later also committed suicide, rumors stating that it was his loss of Molly driving him into depression.

The Haunting: Molly is still seen floating about the mansion.  She seems to reside on the 3rd floor but enjoys coming down and checking out wedding events on occasion.  Although Joseph shot himself in a nearby park, his is said to wonder the mansion as well.

How to see it: Today the home has been renovated and turned into a nice French restaurant.  Weddings are also popular. 

www.forepaughs.com

www.hauntedhouses.com

www.prairieghosts.com/forep.html

 

Franklin Castle - Cleveland, OH

The History: Hannes Tiedemann built the house in 1865. Unfortunately, they lost four children in a short amount of time leading to some speculation of unnatural deaths. The house architecture aids in the mystery of the house as there are secret passageways and hidden rooms throughout. There are also rumors of Tiedemann having affairs that lead to jealousy and, ultimately, to murder. One of the most tragic tales is that of Tiedemann hanging his niece to put her out of misery from her insanity or to punish her for her promiscuity.

The Haunting: Past residents have heard a small child crying and heard footsteps out in the corridor. There is also claim that the tower room is haunted by the "woman in black" who can be heard choking. Lights also swing around and some objects have been moved or thrown.

How to see it: Today the mansion houses a private club restricted to members and their guests. It was rumored at one time they would eventually start tours to the building, however, nothing is posted on their website about this yet.

 

www.franklincastleclub.com

www.prairieghosts.com/oh-frank.html

 

George Stickney House - Bull Valley, IL

This History:  George and Sylvia Stickney built this home in 1849.  As spiritualists, they specifically requested the design of the home not to have square corners.  It was believed the square corners could trap spirits.  The family was reputed to have preformed s?ances regularly in their upstairs ballroom.  Having 12 children, but only 3 that survived, perhaps the need to connect with the lost loved ones encouraged their continual searches into the beyond.

The Haunting: The police stationed in the home today have shared stories of paranormal activity.  They have heard footsteps and human voices when alone.  Some have seen apparitions and had objects move on them after they left the room.  Other more dramatic events such as doors opening on their own have also been seen.

How to see it: The house is registered on the National Registry of Historic Places.  Efforts are underway to restore the home and eventually offer tours.  However, as of today there is not much for the public to see.  To prevent vandalism to the vacated structure, the Bull Valley Police Department has their headquarters on the lower floor. 

www.prairieghosts.com/stickney.html

 

Heceta House - Yachats, OR

The History: This house accompanies a lighthouse on the Oregon coast built in 1894. Many families occupied the house complex over time which included a post office, school and the light house. But it is only the keeper's house that has tales of hauntings. Many believe this is the mother of child who fell off the cliffs back at the turn of the century.

The Haunting: The ghost named Rue is said to be an extra caretaker of the house. She makes it known if she is displeased with any activity in the house. One of the more humorous accounts was of her screaming in the middle of a card game, she didn't want them playing cards in her house!

How to see it: This house is now a bed and breakfast. It also has guided tours from its interpretive center. Although the current owners don't play up and advertise the ghost they have said guests have told them of strange encounters.

www.hauntedhouses.com

www.hecetalighthouse.com

 

The Hermitage - Nashville, TN

The History: Andrew Jackson purchased this farm and acreage in 1804 from his friend Nathaniel Hays.  Using slave labor, he turned the 1000 acres into a grand plantation producing cotton, crops for local use and race horses.  From 1829-1837, Andrew Jackson served as the 7th President of the United States.  After serving office he returned to the Hermitage where he later died and was buried in 1845.  President Jackson's son tired to keep the Hermitage together but in the end had to start selling portions of the now 1050 acre plantation.  It was considered by the U.S. Congress whether to turn the Hermitage into an extension of West Point as a military academy.  However, this was not adopted.  By 1889 the Hermitage was in disrepair.  The Tennessee Ladies Hermitage Association (LHA) formed and spearheaded the effort to save the landmark.  They were able to get 25 acres which included the main mansion and other historic buildings.  The other remaining 475 acres were given to the Tennessee Confederate Soldiers' Home and made into a hospital.  When the hospital shut down in 1933, all 500 acres were returned to the LHA.  The LHA continued to regain the land of the Hermitage and bring it under their care and restoration. Today, 1120 acres are run under the Hermitage as both a Historic landmark and Wildlife area.

The Haunting: It is said that as the plantation fell into disrepair, the spirits became angry and restless.  Caretakers refused to spend the night there.  The ladies of the LHA would soon find out why when they decided to rotate staying there until a watchman could be hired.  Loud noises kept them awake at night.  One being of Andrew Jackson himself riding his horse on the stairway.  The kitchen was also a ruckus with pots and pans pounding.  In the morning they could see that nothing was disturbed.  Other apparitions that have been seen are of slaves who are still bound in chains to the property.

How to see it:  Today you can visit this museum which includes access to the Andrew Jackson Visitor Center, Hermitage Mansion, and Hermitage Grounds and Gardens.

 

www.thehermitage.com

www.hauntedhouses.com/states/tn/hermitage.cfm

www.prairieghosts.com/hermitage.html

 

Hickory Hill House - Equality, IL

The History: This house was built in 1842 by John Crenshaw. Although it was illegal to own slaves in the state of Illinois, it was legal to lease slaves from slave states to work in salt mines. John Crenshaw leased slaves from nearby states to work in his salt mines. It is also said that he would kidnap free blacks and force them to work in his mines and eventually sell them into slavery. All the slaves where kept in the upstairs attic in horse stall-like cells that opened to one large corridor. John Crenshaw had a particularly nasty reputation for cruelty and abuse.

The Haunting: The house opened as a tourist attraction in 1930 and many claimed to hear the rattling of chains and muffled cries from the attic. The home had the reputation that no one could spend the night. In 1978, a reporter named David Rogers was the first to spend a whole night in the house.

How to see it: Currently the house is protected by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and closed to the public. A grant was received in late spring 2006, hopefully it will be able to reopen soon!

 

www.prairieghosts.com/slave.html

www.illinoishistory.com/oshpage.html

www.hauntedhouses.com

www.illinoishistory.com

www.findarticles.com/p/articles

 

Jerome Grand Hotel - Jerome, AZ

The History: Built in 1926, this building was originally the United Verde Hospital.  The hospital was built to be fireproof and withstand blasts from the dynamite mining nearby.  One of the best hospitals in the west, it unfortunately was phased out when the mining in the area began to slow down and closed by 1950.  The building stood empty until 1994; it had been a time capsule having been unchanged for 44 years.  It is now being restored as a hotel with many of the rooms already completed and open for guests.

The Haunting: Being a hospital, there were many patients that perished in its walls.  However, there were deaths of two orderlies that many believed to have been murder.  There is also one recorded suicide.  When the building lay dormant for 44 years, locals claimed they would still see lights burning in the vacant building.  Since being reopen, more paranormal activity has been noticed.  The most common is for guests to feel temperature drops and hear coughing or labored breathing in empty rooms or corners of their own guestroom.  One ghost is said to be a woman who died in childbirth.  She is upset that her child was buried in an unmarked grave and prowls the ground looking for the babe.

How to see it: You may stay in the hotel today.  Room rates begin at $110 and go up from there.  Being the highest point in the Verde Valley, it offers some great views. And if you're lucky, maybe a glance at a ghost or two! 

 

www.jeromegrandhotel.net

www.hauntedhouses.com

www.prairieghosts.com/jerome.html

www.sgha.net/az/jerome/jeromegrand2.html

 

Kehoe House - Savannah, GA

The History: This home was built in 1892 for William Kehoe and his family.  The large family (they had 10 children!) kept the home until 1930.  After that the home became a boarding house, funeral parlor, and a private residence.  In 1992 the home opened as a B&B, it changed ownership in 2003, but remains an inn with a B&B atmosphere.

The Haunting: The main tragedy of the house (that we know of) was the death of the Kehoe twins who died when playing around the chimney.  Children can be heard running the halls and some guests have even had child guests check in on them in their rooms.  But if you don't see the children, their mother Annie is reputed to still wander the rooms, making sure to tuck in all the guests at night!

How to see it: Why not spend the night?  Ask for rooms 201 or 203.  

www.kehoehouse.com

www.hauntedhouses.com

www.associatedcontent.com

 

Lemp Mansion - St. Louis, MO

The History: This house was purchased by William Lemp around 1864 to use as a residence and office for the family brewery. William's father had used a family recipe/method to create a lager beer. This beer quickly became popular and William's father abandoned his grocery store to become a full time brewer. The beer continued to be made by the family until 1922 when family mishap and prohibition forced them to shut down and sell for good. The mansion itself has a sorrowful history with one brother dying under mysterious circumstances and three other men of the family committing suicide inside.

The Haunting: With three suicides one can easily guess where the idea of ghosts haunting the mansion started. However, the families odd history of tales also leads to the idea of additional ghosts. There is the rumor that William Lemp had an illegitimate son with down syndrome who was kept hidden in mansion attic his whole life. He is now said to be seen haunting the mansion and has the nickname "Monkey Face Boy." Tales of haunting first started after 1949 when the mansion was sold and turned into a boarding house. Strange knocking and footsteps throughout the mansion scared the tenants away so the house started to run into disrepair. In 1975, the mansion was saved and renovated and turned into a restaurant and inn. All types of sights and sounds have continued and are still reported today.

How to see it: Spend the night! Or take a tour if you're too scared... The mansion is a bed and breakfast that offers tours and a restaurant to those who don't want to spend the night. They also host a Halloween Party and Murder Mystery Dinner Theater. 

www.lempmansion.com

www.legendsofamerica.com/MO-LempMansion.html

www.stlspiritsearch.com

 

Lizzy Borden House - Fall River, MA

The History: As with so many haunted homes, this story begins with a murder. On the morning of August 4, 1892, Andrew and Abby Borden were murdered by ax in their home. Their eldest daughter, Lizzy, was tried and latter acquitted of the murders. However, she was ostracized from the community for the rest of her life. Some consider that she had a split personality, even those close to her recall erratic and violent behavior. And of course there was the creation of the rhyme:

Lizzie Borden took an ax

Gave her mother forty whacks;

When she saw what she had done

Gave her father forty-one!

The Haunting: There is a strange woman who tucks guests into bed and perhaps the same woman can be heard weeping in the night. Objects move on their own and electrical equipment such as lights and cameras have some interference. Many claim the most active room is Lizzy's old bedroom - which you can stay in if you want...

How to see it: The home is now a bed and breakfast. You may spend the night, take a tour or even spend a weekend at Ghost Hunter University!

 

www.lizzie-borden.com

www.hauntedhamilton.com/gotw_lizzieborden.html

www.prairieghosts.com/lizzie.html

 

Magnolia Mansion - New Orleans, LA

The History: This home was built in 1857 by Alexander Harris.  After Alexander died of yellow fever his widow remarried and sold the home to the Maginnis family.  John Maginnis owned a cotton mill and it was rumored he was struck by lightning because of the cruel way he treated his employees.  In 1939, John's daughter inherited the home and willed it to the Red Cross.  The Red Cross used the home to train nurses for WWII and the Korean War.  In 1954 the home was again sold into private ownership.  Magnolia Mansion was renovated in 2001 and opened as a B&B in 2002.

The Haunting: When renovating the home, the crew had to stop as an oily substance appeared over the walls.  The owner then verbalized her plans for the place out loud so the ghosts would know exactly what she was up to.  She told them she was improving the home and the ghosts would not be able to scare the guests away.  This appeased them for awhile.  However, ghosts are still reputed to slam doors and snuggle into bed with guests on occasion.  Many guests have photos of orbs and a few extra faces from their visits as well.

How to see it: This adult catering B&B offers a great escape to any non-smoker over 21 years of age.  Specializing in romance with Elopement and Wedding packages, the B&B also has fun with their ghosts offering a Romantic Ghostly Getaway Package which includes a room, treats and ghost walking tours.  

www.magnoliamansion.com

Mason House Inn - Bentonsport, IA

The History: This hotel was built in 1846 for steamboat travelers along the Des Moines River.  Later, the Mason House was used as a 'holding hospital' during the Civil War for soldiers being transferred to Keokuk.  It also served as a 'station' along the underground railroad.  The Mason House keeps its name from the Mason family who owned the property for 99 years.

The Haunting:  Three of the owners have died in the building and there was also one murder in one of the guest rooms.  In 1860 poor Mr. Knapp had been drinking and accidentally went to the wrong room.  The occupant thought he was being robbed and stabbed Mr. Knapp in self-defense.  The home had also been a 'holding hospital' in the Civil War and some patients may have died in the home.  Also a Doctor renting a room in the 1940s died in the building.  All in all, a great hangout for ghosts.  The ghosts come in many forms. There are wisps of fog and cold spots to actual figures who appear and disappear from sight.  There is a boy that plays tricks; he likes to rustle sheets and tug at guests as they sleep.  There are footsteps, thuds and a woman in white.  An abundance of ghosts and paranormal events for all!

How to see it: Today you may stay at this B&B for about $80/night ($125 if you are staying in the restored caboose!).  Request to stay in the main house on the 2nd floor (rooms 5 & 7) for the best chance of paranormal dreams!  Ghost hunting 101 and 102 class are also available about twice a year and a Halloween Ghost Walk around Oct 31st. 

www.masonhouseinn.com

Myrtles Plantation - St. Francisville, LA

The History: This home was built by David Bradford in 1794 but stories of hauntings did not start until the 1950's. The house had a long history with many different owners. There is only one recorded murder of William Winter in 1871. However, there are many tales that are told about the home to justify the hauntings. Most of these seem to be fabricated tales, but many say that is just because the house is so haunted, people needed to make up some kind of explanation.

The Haunting: Among the haunting activity is the ghost of a woman in a green turban who some believe to be the ghost of a slave killed for poisoning the head mistress and her two daughters. Others claim that there is a woman but she is not a young slave but an older, unknown woman. There is also a little girl who has appeared as well as a frustrated piano player who continuously practices the same cord over and over on the old piano.

How to see it: You can dine in the restaurant, take a tour or spend the night. The choice is up to you. 

www.myrtlesplantation.com

www.prairieghosts.com/myrtles.html

www.hauntedhouses.com

 

St Elmo - St Elmo, CO

The History: St Elmo is a Colorado ghost town that was built in 1878.  Originally called Forest City, this mining town reached 2000 souls at its peak.  Silver, gold, copper and iron ore were all mined in the area.  Starting out moral, it soon degraded to a 'Saturday Night Hangout' for the over abundance of men in the mining community.  In 1890 a fire destroyed the business section of town and by 1910 the mines began to close.  By 1922 most everyone had left but the affluent Stark family.  They remained and tried to cash in on tourism still running the hotel and general store.  Finally the post office closed (and therefore the town) in 1952.  The last brother and sister of the Stark family fell into despair and she was the last of their family to die in 1960.  

The Haunting: After the death of the Stark family, a friend who had remained kind to them inherited their holdings in St Elmo.  When their grandchildren were playing in the hotel, the doors slammed shut and the temperature radically dropped, they refused to play there anymore.  Another grandchild tried to take the hotel on as a project.  She started to lock away her cleaning and repair tools because they kept moving.  Regardless of her efforts, the tools still appeared mysteriously in the middle of the room every morning.  Annabelle Stark, the last of the Stark family to die, is said to keep a lookout for the the town from the Hotel.  A skier said she saw a woman in the window who was looking off in the distance.  When she followed her gaze she saw snowmobilers in the area.  The skier told them that it was illegal to snowmobile in St Elmo.  After they left the woman in the hotel nodded to the skier and vanished.

How to see it: St Elmo lies just west of Bueno Vista.  It is considered the best preserved ghost town in Colorado and worth a stop if you are in the area.

 

 

www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/saintelmo.html

www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/stelmo.htm

www.legendsofamerica.com/CP-StElmo1.html

www.prairieghosts.com/stelmo.html

www.buenavistaheritage.org

 

Thornwood Castle - Lakewood, WA

The History: Thornwood Castle was built for Chester Thorne, a successful founder of the Port of Tacoma.  This Tudor/Gothic estate was completed in 1911.  Inspired by the estates in Britain, the stained glass windows were even imported from a castle in Europe.  The castle has many different imports that add to structure and contents of the building.  One of the more interesting aspects is the "wishbone sticks" left by the Native American workers who helped in the construction.  These sticks help to ward off evil and are found at the foundation in the basement.

The Haunting: There are multiple photographs taken of orbs throughout the castle and reports of objects moving on their own.  Tape recorders have picked up voices, one of an unknown child.  One child did drown in the lake and is said to haunt its shore, perhaps they visit the house as well?  Overall, the spirits at Thornwood seem to be a good natured sort.  There is not a violent history attached to this home.  Although the wife of Mr. Thorne is said to haunt the halls, this is more because she likes the place rather than she is out to get anyone.  In fact, some believe Thornwood Castle acts as a vortex and can attract ghosts from the other side.  Some guests have reported making contact with loved ones from their lives who have no connection with the castle.

How to see it: You may stay in the castle as it is now a B&B.  There are Candle Light Tours: for $100 and the cost of a room you can spend the night exploring the haunted halls with a small group of ghost hunters. 

 

www.thornewoodcastle.com

www.legendsofamerica.com/WA-ThornewoodCastle.html

www.evergreenparanormal.com

www.prairieghosts.com/rosered.html

 

Villisca Ax Murder House - Villisca, IA

The History: On June 10, 1912, the Moore family and two overnight guests were brutally murdered. The ax murder of two adults and six children horrified the community and its story still horrifies people today. Regardless of the unprecedented effort of police, detectives and neighboring departments at the time, the case remains unsolved to this day.

The Haunting: The most common account seems to be of children's voices in the house. Things will also move unexpectedly and lamps won't stay lit regardless that there is no breeze in the home.

How to see it: Tours of the home are available through the Olson Linn Museum. They also offer night tours, but these must be arranged in advance.

 

www.villiscaiowa.com

www.prairieghosts.com/villisca.html

www.villiscamovie.com/emporium.htm

 

Waverly Hills Sanitarium - Louisville, KY

The History: Okay, not a house, but since it has such a grand reputation of being haunted, we thought to include it. Waverly Hills opened as a hospital for tuberculosis patients in 1926. Tuberculosis was a dreaded killer of the time and most of the patients who entered would die there. It is estimated that at the height of the epidemic a patient died every hour. This large complex had a long tunnel nicknamed the "body chute" where the bodies were transferred to a train at the bottom of the hill. It was covered so patients would not be disheartened by seeing the number of dead being removed from the hospital. Because Tuberculosis was not well understood, there were many experiments that occurred, some were beneficial and some were more brutal leading to tales of mistreatment and abuse. In 1982, the hospital was shut down under allegations of abuse.

The Haunting: The tales of hauntings started after the hospital was shut down and allowed into disrepair. Transients, vandals and kids would break in. Stories began to spread of small children playing in the halls, lights going on when there was not power, doors being slammed, voices crying out, and various other ghoulish activities. One specific spot, room 502, is on the floor where the mentally ill tuberculosis patients were housed. This room was the nurses station where two nurses committed suicide on separate occasions for reasons unknown.

How to see it: There are tours run by the Waverly Hills Historical Society. Tours must be arranged as this is a private site and trespassers will be prosecuted. Overnight tours can also be arranged in advance.

 

http://whsron46.tripod.com/index.html

www.prairieghosts.com/waverly_tb.html

http://whsmemorial.tripod.com/

 

Whaley House - San Diego, CA

The History: This house was a home, granary, court house, theater, ballroom, billiard, school and polling center. It was also the site where criminals were hanged before the house was built. Once built, it also had the tragic history of one of the Whaley girls committing suicide inside.

The Haunting: There are many ghosts in the Whaley House. There is "Yankee Jim" who was one of the criminals hanged at the site. He now stomps around the house with a heavy step and even the first family, the Whaley's, reported hearing him in the house. Thomas Whaley, the first owner of the house has been seen lingering around the upper landing. Thomas' wife, Anna, also wanders the downstairs and the garden. There are a few other apparitions and even a little fox terrier ghost dog that is seen on occasion!

How to see it: This house is now a museum and is open for tours on most days. Their website has more details about times and price.

 

 

www.whaleyhouse.org

www.viewzone.com/whaleyhouse.html

www.geocities.com/Athens/Crete/8136/

www.hauntedhouses.com

 

White House - Washington D.C.

The History: The White House became the home to our presidents in 1800 with President John Adams being the first resident. There have been many presidents and first ladies in the home and some have decided not to leave...

The Haunting: President Abraham Lincoln is the most popular ghost with the most sightings. The first to see him was First Lady, Grace Coolidge. He has also been spotted by guards and guests. Other presidents that like to make an appearance are President Benjamin Harrison, President Andrew Johnson, President John Tyler and President Andrew Jackson. First Ladies that have made appearances include Abigail Adams and Dorothea Madison. There is also the apparition of a black cat which has been said to be seen before national tragedies such as the stock market crash of 1929 and before the assassination of President Kennedy in 1963.

How to see it: Of course you can still visit the White House today. For information about tours or for a virtual tour.

www.whitehouse.gov/ghosts/

http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa022100a.htm

 

Winchester Mystery House - San Jose, CA

The History: Sarah Winchester, daughter-in-law of Oliver Winchester, manufacturer of the Winchester rifle, began the construction of this house in 1884 and kept the project going until her death 38 years later. The legend says she constructed the house continuously to confuse the bad spirits of those killed by the Winchester rifle. In the end it had 160 rooms, 47 fireplaces and various oddities such as doors leading to a sudden outside drop or staircases leading to the ceiling.

The Haunting: Some of the ghosts are said to have been invited by Sarah Winchester as she is said to have held a séance with them every night to determine the construction for the next day. Reports of footsteps, doors closing and opening, cold spots, and other paranormal behavior have been reported. However, some skeptics in the ghost hunting world believe the mansion is more of an oddity than a true haunting ground. Guess you'll just have to go to find out for yourself!

How to see it: The mansion is open to tours today. You can select a standard tour and see 110 rooms and their various oddities and details or you can also do a behind the scenes tour to see how the house functioned.

 

Ion Home Inspection

IonHomeInspection.com

Houston, Katy, Sugar Land, The Woodlands 

 

 

Jason Schweiger
Modus Mortgage - Auburn, WA
Loan Originator: Modus Mortgage
Wow. A lot of good info here. Did you research all of these or copy and paste from somewhere?
Oct 15, 2007 05:07 AM
Randy L. Prothero
eXp Realty - Hollister, MO
Missouri REALTOR, (808) 384-5645
I never heard that the Whitehouse is supposed to be haunted.  Although we did hear the stroies abour Eleanor Roosevelt speaking to a former first lady.
Oct 15, 2007 05:08 AM
Anonymous
John

Your info about Waverly is way off. The death rate legends have been disproven, as have the legends of the mental ward on the 5th floor. Also, there were no allegations of abuse at Waverly Hills. That was WoodHaven, the geriatrics home that occupied the building after Waverly Hills closed in 1961. And Waverly Hills opened in 1910. Th main building that still stands was just an addition to the complex when it opened in 1926.

Oct 16, 2007 04:07 AM
#3
Jeffrey Owen
IonHomeInspection.com - Houston Metro Home Inspection - Katy, TX

John,

 

Thank you for your comment.  This blog entry is just a fun page from items around the Internet for Halloween and it has to do with "houses." I would encourage you to visit the the sites listed under Waverly and express your concerns with them. Take Care!

 

Jeffrey

 

Oct 16, 2007 06:57 AM
Anonymous
Ashley

i went into this house bafore i was to scared so my sister went in the Waverley house my mom went in and she saw a black face and then she felt somthing blow in ear and when thay came out i went in i we rely scared becose i was onley eight but nouthing hapend?

 

Jul 25, 2008 12:11 PM
#5