The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club

By
Real Estate Agent with Prudential

 

tennis club_1.jpg

The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club opened in 1927 as the La Jolla Beach & Yacht Club.  A gentleman by the name of Frederick William Kellogg purchased the property in 1934 to create an oceanfront resort. Kellogg changed the emphasis on the club to that of an exclusive oceanfront tennis resort to attract out of town visitors, as well as La Jollan's.  In 1940 the responsibilty for the Club fell to William Scripps Kellogg, Frederick"s son.  William was the driving force behind the resort's success as a tennis and vacation destination.  He oversaw the construction of the Playa Del Oro Apartment and the F.W. Kellogg commercial building.  He was known for taking children for rides on the beach in a 1915 Packard, know as the "Old Black Goose". The children who rode in the convertible became members of the Old Black Goose Club, swearing to never become litterbugs.

Today the Club, the Marine Room Restaurant, La Jolla Shores Hotel and Shores Restaurant are in the hands of a fourth generation Kellogg family memeber.  William ("Bill") J. Kellogg. The Club has remained a family heirloom, prized and protected by successive generations.

 

 

 

Recent Articles

 

 

 

 

Real Estate in La Jolla:

  • Fighting Global Warming in La Jolla!
  • Is a 1031 Tax Exchange Possible in La Jolla?  
  • SOLD In La Jolla! A Hurricane in La Jolla?
  • Make La Jolla Farms Home!
  • Meet the Gellens Team
  • La Jolla Real Esate - Tips for a Challenging Market
  • La Jolla California ~ Under a Million Dollars

     

     

                                                                                                                Home Search                     Contact the Gellens

     

     
  • Comments (0)