Things that Go BOOM in the Night...

Home Inspector with Complete Home Inspections, Inc. TN Lic#050

Things that Go BOOM in the Night...
     Gas is one of those commodities we bring into our homes, and like electricity, we missing gas line cap...take them for granted. Homeowners and sometimes service personnel often neglect simple safety features - that is until things go BOOM!!! in the night.
     The property was no stranger to inspectors, having been inspected twice by two other local companies. As the reports were lying on the counter, I had to snoop. Much to my amazement, neither had anything to say about this potentially unsafe condition.
     Even though there is a gas shut-off installed, shut-off valves can leak or open if they get jarred. Any time a gas line has been disconnected from the appliance, it is mandatory that the gas line be capped to prevent leakage. If a leak develops and this condition goes unnoticed, this American dream could quickly become someone's worst nightmare...

Posted by

Complete Home Inspections, Brentwood TN 615.661.0297


Re-Blogged 1 time:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
  1. Chris Smith 08/23/2011 10:13 AM
ActiveRain Community
Tennessee Williamson County Franklin
Independent Thinking Inspectors
Tennessee Highways and Byways
Blogs Happen...
Franklin Real Estate
Nashville Real Estate
nashville real estate
nashville home inspections
nashville home inspectors
michael thornton
complete home inspections inc

Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Ginny Gorman
RI Real Estate Services ~ 401-529-7849~ RI Waterfront Real Estate - North Kingstown, RI
Homes for Sale in North Kingstown RI and beyond

Yes, i've been in those instances where it was less evident & it does scare me for sure...i've had defective fittings that were leaking gas...

Aug 22, 2011 11:46 PM #7
Conrad Allen
Re/Max Professional Associates - Webster, MA
Webster, Ma, Realtor

Hi Michael - Two inspectors missed that. Scary is the right word.

Aug 23, 2011 12:51 AM #8
Kenneth Cole
Weichert Realtors Appleseed Group, 2043 Richmond Ave. S.I.N.Y. 10314. office phone 718-698-9797, - Staten Island, NY
NYS Licensed Real Estate Salesperson

Good catch Michael, and good morning to you.

Aug 23, 2011 12:58 AM #9
James Dray
Fathom Realty AR LLC - Bentonville, AR
Exceptional Agents, Outstanding Results

I guess someone needed the gas line for another appliance

Aug 23, 2011 01:05 AM #10
Laura Cerrano
Feng Shui Manhattan Long Island - Locust Valley, NY
Certified Feng Shui Expert, Speaker & Researcher about lazy inspectors the other 2 were.  That is scary and sad at the same time.  Knowing that this can change a persons life and from it seem they did not care.  Good thing you serviced them Michael, they are surly in good hands :)

Aug 23, 2011 01:08 AM #11
Rebecca Gaujot, Realtor®
Perry Wellington Realty, Adam Conrad, Broker - Lewisburg, WV
Lewisburg WV, the go to agent for all real estate

Michael...we have a condo in Arlington and our nephew was staying with us during the week.  We walked into the condo and smelled gas.  Leaving the door open, we checked the kitchen, and the knob on the range (located on the front) was on.  My nephew says he must have brushed by and not knowing, hit the knob.  that was really scary...could have gone BOOM!

Aug 23, 2011 01:13 AM #12
Brenda Mullen
RE/MAX Access - Schertz, TX
Your San Antonio TX Real Estate Agent!!

Wow.  It's a darn good thing that you inspected and were able to inform the owners of this condition before it became too late.  I don't have anything but electricity and am still scared that stuff will go boom :)! 

Aug 23, 2011 01:44 AM #13
Patricia Feager
Selling Homes Changing Lives


Thank you for sharing this extremely important information. Here in TX almost all houses are all electric, like mine. A few have gas and with all the vacant houses, it's good to know.

I've lived and survived too many fires - I definitely will pay attention from now on. Thank you very much. I'll be sure to share this information with my BOARD too. Nobody ever talks about it.

Thanks a million and stay safe out there.

Aug 23, 2011 02:10 AM #14
Laura S. Baker
First Weber Inc - Lake Mills, WI
Realtor (920) 728-4118, First Weber Inc

That photo made me suck in my breath but I don't know what is more alarming, the uncapped gas or the fact that two previous inspectors missed that.

Aug 23, 2011 02:44 AM #15
Kristin Johnston - REALTOR®
RE/MAX Realty Center - Waukesha, WI
Giving Back With Each Home Sold!

Good to remember that even the shut off valves need to be checked for leaks etc...dont take anything for granted!

Aug 23, 2011 03:07 AM #16
Don MacLean
Simolari & MacLean REMAX EXECUTIVE REALTY - Franklin, MA
Realtor - Homes For Sale - Franklin MA

Amazing that not only did the inspectors miss it, but for the cost of a cap someone didn't do it.

Must have been Uncle Ned lol

Enjoy the day

Aug 23, 2011 03:39 AM #17
Craig Rutman
Helping people in transition - Cary, NC
Raleigh, Cary, Apex area Realtor

The fact that two prior inspectors missed this is really alarming. It's a good thing they had you on the job to insure that their dream didn't go up in smoke.

Aug 23, 2011 05:04 AM #18
Kristine Ginsberg
Elite Staging and Redesign, LLC - Short Hills, NJ
NJ Home Stager

Michael - two inspectors missing such a dangerous thing? It begs the question - how are these people in business?! Lucky the family had you and you caught it - you may have saved not only their home, but their lives! This is when a perfectionist personality is necessary attribute to be an excellent home inspector - glad you use it to your advantage!

Aug 23, 2011 07:08 AM #19
Wayne Martin
Wayne M Martin - Chicago, IL
Real Estate Broker

Maybe the other two inspectors were too poor to pay attention? It's as good an explanation as any other. Enjoy your day!

Aug 23, 2011 07:55 AM #20
Rob Thomas
Prestige Homes of The Tri Cities, Inc. CALL....423-341-6954 - Bristol, TN
Bristol TN-VA & Tri Cities Agent, ABR, GRI, e-Pro

Michael....That's amazing! Some people just take shortcuts!
Hope you have a great day!---Rob

Go Vols!

Aug 23, 2011 08:51 AM #21
Chris Smith
Re/Max Chay Realty Inc., Brokerage - New Tecumseth, ON
South Simcoe, Caledon, King, Orangeville Real Esta

Michael, I have never run across an uncapped gas valve.  Hard to believe two professional home inspectors both missed it.

Aug 23, 2011 10:07 AM #22
Randy Ostrander
Lake and Lodge Realty LLC - Big Rapids, MI
Real Estate Broker, Serving Big Rapids and West Central MI

Good evening Michael. Could have been disasterous. Scary the other guys missed this. Even the seller should have seen red flags here.

Aug 23, 2011 12:23 PM #23
Kenneth Cole
Weichert Realtors Appleseed Group, 2043 Richmond Ave. S.I.N.Y. 10314. office phone 718-698-9797, - Staten Island, NY
NYS Licensed Real Estate Salesperson

Update; Tuesday early afternoon, something went boom in the daytime all up and down the east coast.

Aug 23, 2011 12:37 PM #24
Joshua Zargari
MJ Decorators Workshop LI staging and home decorating - Lynbrook, NY
MJ Decorators Workshop

Good evening Michael.

Those are great safety points.

One should never neglect the safety measures.

Aug 23, 2011 01:09 PM #25
James Quarello
JRV Home Inspection Services, LLC - Wallingford, CT
Connecticut Home Inspector

Maybe the other inspectors couldn't lean over the dryer due to dunlop's disease. :)

Aug 24, 2011 08:32 AM #26
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


TeamCHI - Complete Home Inspections, Inc.

Home Inspectons - Nashville, TN area - 615.661.029
Ask me a question
Spam prevention

Additional Information