As a real estate agent, you have the perfect opportunity to create referrals through existing clients. Why? Because people talk. Whether it is about the movie they just saw, the great service they received at a restaurant, or the friendly associate at the grocery store, people love to talk about their positive experiences. So why not be the reason to get people talking?
There are many ways to get referrals, some straight forward, and some a bit more subtle, and some don’t require any effort at all (other than great service, of course!).
As your real estate virtual assistants, our goal is to make sure you have the tools and information you need to be at the top of your game 24/7. Take a look at these 5 easy steps to obtaining more referrals and welcome the new business!
1. Ask for referrals - It may not be easy to flat out ask for a referral, but sometimes it’s the best option. Look at it this way: asking for a referral is like asking for a raise: If you know you’re doing great work, there should be no shame in asking. In fact, most people will appreciate the fact that you value their feedback. It may be a little intimidating, but odds are you will be satisfied with the outcome.
2. Take the quiet approach – Some businesses simply just don’t know how to ask for a referral. They may feel that asking for a referral is implying that they desperately need the business, or that it is putting a damper on the pending sale by pushing for one more thing. Well, if you’re not ready to take the full-frontal approach, you can make the request just as effective but in a more subtle way. For starters, try adding a catchy tagline in your email signature, or include a non-aggressive referral request on your business card. It can be very simple, but still to the point. For example: “By the way – there is no better compliment than a referral!”
3. Remind customers of how your company is special – Surely there are aspects of your business that set you a part from the rest. Remind your client’s of this and why they chose to work with you in the first place! This can be accomplished by sending out weekly emails, newsletters, or blogging about recent successes within your business. It’s okay to brag (once in awhile), and it may inspire your clients to brag about you, too!
4. Recognize “Good” Clients – Some clients will generate more of a “buzz” about you than others. You will really need to nurture these relationships, as well as relationships with new clients. Whether they are new or old, make an effort to stay on top of what’s going on in your client’s lives. Did they mention an upcoming vacation? Do you know their anniversary or birthday? If so, follow up with your clients around these times with a friendly email or phone call. They will be impressed not only with your good memory, but also with your kindness and willingness to take time out of your day to contact them.
5. Listen to your clients - If they don't tell you what they think about your business, ask. If you already conduct a follow-up survey with your clients, include a place for referrals, and you can also do the same thing on your web site.
I will leave you with this: Next time you feel like you’re in a slump, ask yourself: “What have I done today to generate business for tomorrow?” It may just give you the positive motivation you need to keep going!
Now that you have the tips…get out there and get the referrals you deserve!
And as always, never hesitate to let us know how your real estate virtual assistants can help you serve your clients and your business!
Make it a great day!