Hurricane Preparedness- be prepared - must do's for RI Real Estate especially in the coastal part of RI. It has been 20 years since hurricane Bob hit us in RI so residents are a bit rusty and complacent about what to do and how to prepare for a RI hurricane. The RI Department of Emergency Management has their site up and running. So go down the check list of planning items today. We are a couple of days away so it is best that all RI homeowners begin their preparations, pet preparedness, contact needs and house protection.
Here is a quick list of RI hurricane preparedness items to do in the next day:
- 3 days of storm supplies on hand. Water, granola bars, fruit and non refrigerated items
- Generator. If you have one, get it ready with enough gas for it.
- Batteries and flashlights. At least 3 sets of 'D' size batteries for each flashlight should last a week without electricity.
- Radio with batteries.
- Tarps. Broken windows, roof leaks are all possibilities here so have something that can go over them.
- Ziploc bags. Put cash, license, insurance policy, house deed, credit cards, cell phone, computer and all important papers in water tight containers.
- Digital and video cameras. Before the storm take a video tour of the inside and outside of your home, upload privately to YouTube or Photo Sharing private service. You may need these to document any insurance damage and you will have it.
- Pet needs. If you have to go to a shelter, you must make arrangements with another party to take your pets in for you so get food, leashes and pet crates ready.
- Plan. Notify all family members who your contact person will be out of area if they can't reach you. This is the person you will get in touch with if communication is not possible. Have a center point location established that you will all meet at if the power and communication lines are down. Our RI real estate is at risk with this one...let us be careful with our lives.
Now get going today to get organized. Hurricane Preparedness - Be Prepared - Must Do's for RI Real Estate.
Ginny Lacey Gorman is a North Kingstown Realtor who works and knows the RI geographic area of homes for sale, schools, happenings, important tidbits of information and businesses well. Also, as North Kingstown short sale agents, she and her team helps clients navigate successfully the rough short sale waters throughout RI. Waterfront, water view, ocean front, luxury and coastal RI homes are her specialty, so call Ginny for your buying and selling home
needs. When you are in need of an internet savvy RI realtor® who sells homes in this real estate market, call Ginny today at 401.529.7849.