Since I move to Baltimore from Miami, I never thought I would be getting ready hurricanes, but in 2003 we have Isabel, and now we might experience Irene.
I know everybody in Baltimore knows how to get ready for snow, buying milk, tp, clorox, etc. Well in case you forgot what happen in 2003 here is a list of things that you should buy in case Irene comes our way. Please stay safe and remember if the EYE of the hurricane is going over you, that section is very calm and appears that the worst is over, stay put and wait, because the tail of is still coming and sometimes that has the strongest winds.
1. flash lights and batteries.
2. candles, oil lamps and a lighter or matches.
3. propaine gas or charcoil to cook for up to a week if the power is off and you only have electric stove.
4. water jugs or bottles. sometimes it is not safe to dring tap water.
5. can good and non perishable food, if you have kids it is a good idea to buy powder milk or evaporated milk. Also don't forget a manual can opener in case you only have an electric one.
6. Gasoline, fill your tank up tomorrow or Saturday morning, if power goes down then gas stations wont be able to sell gas.
7. first aid kid handy.
8. Keep your home insurance policy handy and their phone number, also keep a digital camera and if you can take pictures before and if you have to after.
9. keep materials and sentimental values away, bring down the pictures and pack them like if you are moving.
10. If you are on a flooding zone, make arrangements and go to higher ground.
11. keep a battery operated radio or tv.
12. Ladies if you are expecting, talk to your doctor the preasure from the hurricane might induce labor.
13. board the windows, but if you can't or don't want to do it, get packing tape and tape the windows, if the hurricane bust a window or door, break another one to let the preasure out.
14. Find the safest area in your home. away from windows, usually bathroom and walking closets are good.
15, Clean out the gutters in your house and side walk, along with storm drains.
16. move patio furniture inside or tight it and secure it.
17. GET CASH, if power goes out there wont be any ATMs of banks open.
19.Make sure your sump pump works
20. Go to the store today, don't procrastrinate, avoid lines and empty shelves.
Best of luck and please stay safe