I always have a fun thought about first impressions,
Make A Good First Impression Or Die.
OK, it is a bit dramatic, but some doors are slammed in your face, some paths are not allowed to be taken or take you LONGER to get back on that road, time is lost. In all the things OUT OF YOUR CONTROL in life that you can TRY to control, WORK to make a good first impression if you want to go somewhere with something or someone. Do not be cavalier with this. I know we all think HOW important are first impressions? In business, life, and relationships, VERY IMPORTANT.
Some tips in all areas:
- Maintain direct eye contact with people
- Be confident. Fake it if you have to
- Don't chew gum, smoke, have strong cologne or perfume, or excessive smile with a new person
- Watch the tone of your voice and speak clearly and not too fast
- Dress well ALL the time and groom well, a GIVEN, that to so many completely eludes them
- Get advice on designing a web site. Canadian research found people saying they liked or didn't like a web site almost as FAST as the eye can take in the information, and the colors you select influence people's opinion of it
- Don't overly use real estate jargon with new people like days on market, list to sale ratio, and explain slowly and clearly any technical terms like escrow, contract terminology etc.
- Have a firm handshake, non-sweaty, for both men and women and don't be like a vise grip either too strong or not letting go
- Lean slightly toward people while sitting showing you are paying attention to them with listening and while standing point your toes toward them to show you are not trying to run away from them
- If much information is gathered at a meeting in your office, coffee shop, or restaurant feel free to take notes on paper jotting down key items they tell you. Be polite and give people your full attention and not being rude and picking up your cell phone when it rings in the middle of the meeting
Many, many things you can do in a common sense fashion to make a GREAT first impression. If you don't, you probably BLEW IT, and can kiss this person, relationship, FUTURE opportunity goodbye with it being VERY TOUGH to recover. Live and learn I guess, but