My name is Michael Paul Paduano. As a candidate for the Board of Directors of the Desert Water Agency I would like to share with you my background and experiences as well as my concerns for and interest in this position.
We live in a desert. Water is a vital concern. We live in a time of economic unrest. Fiscally sound decisions are essential. We live in a world polluted by yea...rs of unreasonable practices and neglect. We need an eye to the future and to its generations.
Several people have asked me recently why I would be interested in serving on this board. My answer to them was simply, “I am a young man living in the desert and plan to be here for a long time. I don’t want to live in a region where water is scarce, not of high quality, or outrageous in its costs. If you live in a desert, water should be of paramount importance. It is to me!”
Michael Paul Paduano
Professional Background and Experiences
For ten years I have been actively involved in many aspects of my community:
- I established and now direct the Wellness Foundation Palm Springs (WellnessFoundationPalmSprings.org) providing support services for existing non-profits.
- I am a partner in Goodland Capital Group (GoodlandCapital.com) which provides immediate loans for existing businesses. I know first hand the present economic difficulties and the importance of small business growth.
- My background in fitness and health drove me to design and produce two yoga DVD’s: Zoo Yoga for Children, and Healing Yoga. Many copies of these videos have been donated to local non-profits.
- I have been an active Realtor with Windermere Real Estate and understand the importance of protecting investments in a time of financial uncertainty. During the ten years I have been with Windermere (MichaelPaduano.com) I served at the state level for the California Association of Realtors on the following committees:
- Legislative Committee for 2007
- Local Governmental Relations Committee for 2007
- Property Management Committee for 2007
- CAR (California Association of Realtors) Expo Advisory Committee, 2004-2006
- Vice Chairman for the Expo Committee 2005
In the past ten years I accomplished the following goals:
· Desert Outreach Foundation, Advisory Board Member
· Greater Palm Springs Pride, Advisory Board Member
· Equality California, Advisory Board Member
· Palm Springs Chamber of Commerce, member
· Desert Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce, member
· Palm Springs Board of Realtors, member
· California Association of Realtors, member
· National Association of Realtors, member
· BottomLine Magazine, columnist “Athletes in Action” column
· Live Magazine, columnist for non-profit events calendar
Volunteer Activities in the Local Area
I believe strongly in the importance of giving back to the community. I enjoy using my talents to help others. As a result I can often connect with people in this community in ways that I had never anticipated.
· Gilda’s Club Desert Cities, yoga and fitness volunteer working with the cancer community
· Stroke Recovery Center, yoga volunteer
· Pegasus Riding Academy, working with youth in the deaf and hard of hearing community utilizing my background in American Sign Language
· Organized the Children’s Health and Fitness Expo, a free public event exposing adults and children to the importance of health, exercise, nutrition and available organizations related to health and fitness
· Safe House of the Desert, organized and provided outside excursion to The Living Desert
· Organized an interplay among Safe House of the Desert, PFLAG, and Gay/Straight Alliances in local high schools to provide workshop for students to be effective leaders, organize clubs, have fun, and plan special events
· GSA PROM, “Pretty in Pink”. Organized a fun/safe environment for high school members of GSA (Gay/Straight Alliances) to have their “Anti-prom” with other high school students in the valley
· “Alive Spirit Celebration” Keynote Speaker at a luncheon and lecture event promoting a healthy lifestyle
· Vendor/Exhibitor organizer at Palm Springs Pride; worked with over 107 local, state and national vendors to promote public awareness of individual rights and civil liberties of the GLBT COMMUNITY.