I have always loved hurricanes as a weather event. Having grown up in Florida and lived in Texas I have seen and felt a lot of them. They are a little more FORMAL entering our lives with satellite, radar, and hurricane hunter planes. Unlike tornadoes that just drop out of the sky hurricanes inch up on you and then you have to deal with them. They can be unpredictable in their path for sure and I have seen them even do U-turns out in the Atlantic.
I hope all are safe with Irene's battering of the East Coast and remnants of the storm in its aftermath. But
Hurricanes Teach Us About Uncontrollables
- All you can do is prepare your best, then what may happen will happen
- There are fools who ignore good common sense in the face of danger
- If you wait too late to prepare, well you are stuck. The classic batten down the hatches position
- Nothing MORE real than the uncontrollable. You cannot deny its existence. When a hurricane is on your doorstep you can't turn off the 100 mph winds
- There is a little random good luck or bad luck with the uncontrollable, like a hurricane's highest winds missing your area yet trees falling down and killing the innocent somewhere else. Be at peace with something so completely out of your control
- Realize PARTS of life are going to be out of control, many in fact, that go along with normal things you think are in your control, paying your electric bill means you get electric, well maybe
- Develop multiple paths or options to handle the out of control. A Plan B if you will. Battery power for your PC or radio and flashlights, generators at home, jugs of water. Think of this as your redundant life. It is very smart if you think about it. Planning redundancy or Plan B's throughout your life or even Plan C's you turn into a very advanced thinker in all areas.
- Finally, very important, this too shall pass. The uncontrollable does not last forever and it is like riding a roller coaster with that initial huge drop. The biggest shock is usally the first one, then things lessen in intensity (THANK GOD lol)