When families move, whether just down the street or to a new community, children all ask the same questions:
Will there be any kids my age at our new house? What will they be like? Will they like me? Will I have any friends?
Here are a few tips to help your child through that tough time of being the “new-kid” on the block:
1) If you are moving into a home previously occupied by a family with children, ask if they would leave a list of the favorite neighborhood play areas.
2) Take short family walks as a way of unwinding from the physical rigors of the move and to make initial explorations of your new surroundings. This is a great way to meet your new neighbors and potential playmates for your kids.
3) Help your children draw a neighborhood map with locations of the schools playground, community center, shopping area and toy store so they can feel more confident finding their way around.
4) Set specific goals for exploring your new neighborhood like: visiting the recreation center, getting library cards and meeting the mail carrier.
5) Look into family and “kids only” activities through the local museum, zoo, library, school or recreation centers.
6) If children live nearby, arrange to have them show you and your child the routes they take to school, the playground, the pool or the community center.
7) Make sure to investigate local groups your family may have been involved with in your former community – churches, scouts, sports, or social, ethnic and cultural organizations.
8) Learn about the unique cultural aspects of your new community by visiting the historical museum or taking a guided tour of the major points of interest.
9) Arrange a tour of your child’s school. Besides the classroom areas, be sure to locate the library, cafeteria, gymnasium, playground, bathrooms and bus stop.
10) When you feel more settled, invite immediate neighbors, especially those with children, for a backyard picnic or cookout so the kids can get to know each other in a relaxed, informal atmosphere.
We are pleased to bring you this information. We encourage you to follow our blogs for helpful information. When you are buying or selling real estate, our expertise will make your home buying experience enjoyable. Call The Cody Anne Team today! Cody Anne 928-848-1188 or Micheal Yarnes 928-533-6859. Check out our websites www.codyanne.com or www.SearchPrescottRealEstate.com .