September is here. Soon, fall breezes will replace warm sunny afternoons and trees will begin to shed. And that can only mean one thing—winter isn’t far away. Fall brings a great opportunity to enjoy the fresh air and finish the projects we started on our Kamloops home over the summer. It also gives us a chance to get a jump on preparing for the harshness of winter. Therefore, as your summer vacations end, here are some home projects to focus on this fall:
1. Windows: The beauty of Kamloops is best viewed through clean windows. The inside, outside, and even the tracks could use a good cleaning. Also, be sure to check that the windows seal and weather stripping is in good shape. If your windows are a less efficient single pain, don’t open and close smoothly, or won’t seal and have constant drafts, fall is a great time to install new windows. The money you save in heating costs may be significant!
2. Pipes: Be sure to inspect all exposed pipes for rust, wear and tear, leaks, and cracks. Insulate exposed pipes and spigots as well to keep them from freezing. After all, it’s better to take care of the problem now before having a pipe burst during a winter storm!
3. Clean out the Garage: It’s amazing how quickly things accumulate in the garage, and with winter just around the corner, it’s time to clean up and make space for the car. Examine your shelves and properly dispose of empty/old paint cans, oil cans, and other chemicals. Sweep out the corners to evict any insects that have taken up residence. And don’t forget to check your garage door and opener—it’s a great time to take care of any repairs or maintenance that needs to be done.
4. Winterize your lawn tools. As the mowing season comes to a close, take time to properly clean and store your lawn mower. While hosing it off will get much of the dirt off of the exterior surface, you should also take time to sharpen the blade, inspect spark plugs, and look for any damage caused by the ravages of summer. It’s a good idea to get it serviced now before it sits unused for several months.
5. Maintain your deck. After a summer of high use and heat, it’s time to do some preventative maintenance on your deck. Properly clean and store furniture, then sweep and power wash the deck. This will remove any materials or dirt that is stuck in the grains. Finally, stain and seal your wood deck—it’s amazing how much damage a season of snow and ice can do to wood! Still using your deck to enjoy Kamloops’ great fall evenings? No problem—just be sure to finish the work before the first big freeze!
6. Interior Painting: Now that the kids are in school and temperatures are more comfortable, it’s the perfect time to bring new color to the living room or give the drab spare room a makeover. Opening the windows can let in wonderful breezes that will minimize the fumes and dry wet paint quickly.
As summer draws to a close and we adjust to our schedules with school and sports, don’t forget about your home. After all, it is the largest purchase the majority of us will ever make! When you are ready to sell your Kamloops home or relocate to the area, call me, Eric Putoto! I am the ONLY Canadian Realtor to have been granted an exclusive license for the most advance home selling system ever developed: The “Maximum Value Home Selling Systems."TM